My dog

Bowie died yesterday about noon, fairly quickly and painlessly. My house is quiet and empty without him. I am a fucked up mess today, but I will recover. Thank you for your kind expressions of concern.
Jim

12 Likes

So sorry for your loss. We’ve gone through it and will again in the not-distant-enough future.
I’m going to go give our lab a hug for you.

1 Like

I am so sorry to hear this. My own pup Abby passed almost a year ago and I still miss her every time I come home from work and she’s not there to greet me. Truly man’s best friend, there’s something so comforting in having a friend who always loves you and is always there, always happy to greet you. Rest in peace Bowie

1 Like

My condolences Jim.

1 Like

My heart is broken for you Jim.

It’s a sad sad thing.

Keep memories alive. Remember all the love you shared.

I just hugged my rescue terrier - Jack who we got in January after having to put down rescue KC after 12 years.

Just know he will always be with you and the pain will get better with time and love.

1 Like

I was airway thinking of you this morning. Letting love go is hard. Cheers to Bowie. May he be getting away with everything now.

1 Like

Goddamn, that’s horrible news, Jim. I’m so sorry.

Really glad that Bowie’s passing was quick and painless, and that you were with him at the end.

2 Likes

I am so sorry for your loss. RIP Bowie.

1 Like

You gave Bowie a wonderful life. And I’m sure he gave every bit as much to you.

1 Like

Yesterday was my first time to attend a dog’s euthanasia. I am glad I was with him, but the experience affected me emotionally far more than I expected. I know intellectually yesterday was best for Bowie, but my emotions are telling my brain to go to hell.

5 Likes

Dogs are amazing. 50,000something years ago some wolves decided to hang around a hunter-gatherer camp and it’s been a symbiotic relationship ever since. Did they choose us or did we choose them?

I feel for you, Jim.

1 Like

My condolences, Jim. As someone who has had half a dozen pets euthanized over my life, it’s never easy, but the first one was by far the worst emotionally. I’ve been able to let my mind reassure my emotions that it’s the right thing to do, which doesn’t make it easier, just easier to live with.

One of the best discoveries I’ve made over this time is at-home euthanasia. Having to crate and cart a pet to a facility just adds to the trauma for both of us. We’ve used Lap of Love here in Tampa but they are everywhere now. Again, doesn’t make it any easier but it does ease the difficulty of the whole exercise.

Take care, Jim.

1 Like

Not for me, Ty. My vet offered to do it here, and we have at home vets in Austin too, but I did not want that. Bowie was comfortable at his vet’s clinic/hospital, and they loved him there. I chose to have it done there even with home as an option.

4 Likes

I understand, it’s not for everyone. I’m glad you were able to choose the option best for you…and Bowie.

1 Like

I’m so sorry.

1 Like

So sorry.
Bowie was beautiful, unconditional love.
You blessed each other.
My sincere condolences, Jim.

Jim,

I’m sorry for the pain you’re going through. LIke you say, intellectually you know it’s the right thing, but still…

We had to put down one of our favorite cats last year. She was still relatively young (10 years) but had developed lymphoma, and it was causing her to waste away. She was a rescue, found in a parking lot at four months, and always terrified of storms, probably because of her early months. But she knew that we always protected her, and she looked for us whenever she was scared. It took me quite a while to get over the feelings of betrayal from that final act.

2 Likes

So sad to hear, all sympathies to you, Jim

1 Like

I don’t think you ever do. I guess as long as we outlive them it always feels like failure.

2 Likes

It is only natural, and a sign of your love, to be overcome right now. There is no sort of reasoning that can hold back those emotions in the early days.

I have no doubt—as attested by so many here—that you gave him the best life and best friendship he could have had. I hope everyone’s messages help ease the sting, at least as much as anything can. I am so sorry for your loss.

1 Like