Music 2023

Turned Travis Kelce woke with her witching ways. Oh, and encouraged eligible young people to register to vote.

2 Likes

That shrew!

3 Likes

Peter Gabriel’s new album I/O is very good. He played most of it last night along with a handful of his classic hits. His voice is as strong and amazing as its ever been. The whole show was great and the artistry sublime. The nine piece band was awesome and each member’s contribution was highlighted. Also Tony Levin is so fucking good on bass guitar.

3 Likes

Tony Levin is possibly the greatest musician of our lifetime. Adrian Belew is close but he’s no Tony Levin.

I got the chance to hang out and drink beer with Belew. One of the most laid back, coolest guys I ever met.

2 Likes

Thats right. Swift represents the greatly increased economic power of women, especially single women. The politcal power that derives from it is her(e).

One of my favorite active bands is The National.
They embrace and have been embraced by Big Sister. We have always loved Big Sister.

2 Likes

That embrace is sure helped by Aaron Dresner being a great producer and producing several of TSwifts albums.

Let’s don’t paint too altruistic a picture of the embrace. Not saying they don’t believe in the cause but she is helping pay the bills.

I have been seeing more Indy/ not pop mainstream band members get into producing as a second stream of income. Maybe this has been going on for a while and I just noticed it.

It makes sense because when you’re an independent band you can’t really afford producers. It’s you and the engineer so the direction is all on you and the vision is communicated through you to the engineer. Essentially you’re the producer. If the output sounds great other people will want you to do the same for them.

2 Likes

Presuming you have seen this …

4 Likes

I wonder how much money dressner has made working for swift in comparison to what he brings in for his work with the National. Im sure the grammys dont hurt either.

Dressner is an outstanding composer/musician/producer and grateful that The National still seems to be his favorite project.

Didn’t mean to imply any altrusim in the embrace. You must hug big sister.
There is no cause. She is reigning. Fuck, even the new Scorcese film can’t compete with her concert film. Stop making cents, hug big sister.

2 Likes

I don’t know what to make of the National myself but there was an interesting piece on them in the New Yorker a few months ago that fans should definitely seek out.

Morose.

1 Like

Thanks Chuck. Just read it. Very good piece.
I’m definitely the cliche male version of their fanbase.

Might add that their live shows are very good and they’ll be playing in houston dallas and austin next month…but if i remember correctly you are down panama way.

1 Like

You guys have whetted my appetite for new vinyl. So I have this question, has any of you fine gentlemen and ladies ever bought any records through Discogs (discogs.com)? And if so what was your experience?

Many times, rare stuff as well as good prices on used things. I’ve sold quite a bit on there as well. No problems at all.

1 Like

I’ll second that. I’ve bought many records through them, and only once was did I think it was misrepresented. I’ve never sold anything.

1 Like

It’s absolutely great, “too great” (at least pre-Covid) in that you feel guilty from paying some version of nothing and receiving vinyl, etc so painstakingly cared for, wrapped and sent to you.

Legend.

2 Likes

Rick Astley is not human, or has been frozen for the last 40 years.

1 Like

He and Dick Clark had an epic sword fight a few years ago and Clark lost his head.

3 Likes