Music 2023

Thanks Bench. Grabbed a seat upstairs reasonably close to the stage. I’ll report back in September!

Oh. Park and walk.

1 Like

FYI, we walked up and were not able to do a tour so make sure you reserve ahead of time.

1 Like

Yeah it’s right next to the skate park if you know where that is. I went a couple years ago and there were some art exhibit down there and it was really cool both figuratively and literally down there. I think we parked in the street.

1 Like

I thought this was beautiful.

2 Likes

They say I’ve got staying power here on the tree, but I’ve been here since Eisenhour and I’ve outlived even he… Rhyming staying power with Eisenhower is so good.

That’s up there with rhyming “my johnson” with “Wisconsin”.

Had a love affair with Nina
In the back of my Cortina
A seasoned-up hyena
Could not have been more obscena
She took me to the cleaners
And other misdemeanours
But I got right up between her
Rapping her hymena

1 Like

Ian Dury?

1 Like

Yessir!

Live Stiffs Live, was a pretty influential record for me.

1 Like

I would hazard a guess that about 50% of Gen X in the UK lost their virginity in the backseat of a Cortina.

ETA: Alternative answer that I wish I’d thought of first:

You mean coitus?

1 Like

Same here, very much so. Unlikely and unbelievable resonance and repercussions across decades. There is also pretty clear video of pieces of the recording. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLwWsdBrOIs

1 Like

Turns out that was a cover of a 2011 Tom Waits song and it’s the lead single for Willie’s 76th(!) studio album. And yes that was Mickey Raphael on harmonica. He’s been with Willie since the 70s.

1 Like

My latest 10.5” mix tape. First one in a couple of years. I tried to mix in a few more “genre jumps” and some familiar along with the obscure. The time and expense make it different than just a “play list”. I can spend months listening to my collection and jotting down possibilities.

2 Likes

Oh wow…those are good tunes

1 Like

Nice mix. Is that version of “How long has this been going on” the one from the, Round Midnight, soundtrack album?

1 Like

Yes, it is. Nice pickup.

Needs a Willie in there somewhere

eta: 2 birds, 1 stone: Willie and Ray Charles, Seven Spanish Angels live in the ACL studio

1 Like

It really does. I’ve thought about springing for the fancy 180 gm. repressing of “Red Headed Stranger”. Maybe next payday…

I’ve got some Ray, but I don’t have that one. Great song, too.

2 Likes