Music 2023

Way too late but at least this is something.

2 Likes

I checked out the IDLES show at White Oak Music Hall last night. They are kind of a post-punk/hardcore outfit out of Bristol, England who have really picked up traction in the US in the past 2-3 years. Even had a Grammy nomination last year. At one point, the friend I dragged along with me, who was completely unfamiliar with their work, leaned over and said “ah, they are sort of a British Rage ATM… but better.” Not an unfair comparison.

Anyway, it was definitely one of the best shows I’ve seen in the last few years. And better live than their recorded stuff, for the most part, which seems to be growing more uncommon these days.

1 Like

We’ve been to a couple of concerts this year; we saw Steve Hackett at whatever the concert place in Stafford is called. Great venue and stellar concert. Then a few weeks ago we saw Leo Kottke at the Heights Theater. Another great (but way smaller) venue and Kottke is a wonder to behold, if I may hyperbolize. Incredibly funny, gifted,and amazing player.

1 Like

I’ve seen him a number of times over the years and he’s always been fantastic. His dry wit and mesmerizing play never gets old. I saw him recently and towards the end he was like, “I’m kinda tired…what do you say we skip that whole ‘leave the stage and come back out’ thing and I’ll just play a few more songs.”

2 Likes

I’ve never seen Hackett or Kottke, though I’m a an admirer of both. One of the coolest gigs I ever saw was Adrian Belew, at this little dive bar in Chapel Hill, NC. He played, he talked about his equipment, how he writes things, then after came out and sat down at the table and had a few beers and shot the shit. Told some hysterical stories, mostly about Frank Zappa and Tony Levin. He was the coolest, most down-to-earth rock star I ever met.

1 Like

7 Likes

“Convenience fees” would have been the crowning touch.

1 Like

Last night I watched “Immediate Family” on HULU. The documentary covers the careers of Danny ‘Kootch’ Kortchman, Leland Sklar, Russ Kunkel, Waddy Wachtel. These guys were the studio and tour musicians behind early James Taylor and Carole King. There are great interviews with Taylor, King, Linda Rondstat, Phil Collins, David Crosby, Lyle Lovett and many, many more. There are also great sections where one of them start playing a part their instrument and the song it is apart of slowy fades in. It was a realy enjoyable couple of hours.

1 Like

Leland is the bassist with the boss beard, correct?

He’s pretty damn good.

Yes, that is him.

1 Like

So at the London concert of the Eras tour, Travis Kielce joined in the show as he picked up a dead-from-a-broken-heart Taylor Swift, brought her back to life, dusted her off and put her back on stage.

London is the hometown of her immediate ex. That’s some cold shit.

How many “immediate exes” does she have? I guess I could count the number of singles she’s put out and get a general idea.

Apparently she dated some British actor I’ve never heard of for 6 years.

1 Like

I was listening to Gives You Hell by All American Rejects late last night as I drove from VT to DC. And, I kept thinking to myself, “why is this so familiar???”. Then it dawned on me, it’s basically a Taylor Swift song.

1 Like

Anyone been to Bayou Music Center in Houston? I wanna go to BEAT - Belew/Vai/Levin/Carey play 80s King Crimson but not sure about where to sit. Is the ‘upper deck’ a good seat like it is in Sugar Land’s Smart Financial Center?

It’s always seemed smaller than the Smart Financial Center to me. I’ve been upstairs and downstairs at the Bayou Music Center and always had a good experience.

1 Like

Weird question, I’ve seen pics but it’s someplace I’ve never been: how do you get to tour the cisterns underneath downtown?

What do Taylor Swift and Spider Man have in common?

They both killed Jake Gyllenhal on a bridge.

Open to the public (except for children, oddly).

2 Likes

“How” was my question