Music 2023

So this record…this record right here…is fucking awesome.

2 Likes

You are not wrong. I’m kind of surprised you didn’t already know it, I sort of assumed the disc you bought had some extra tracks or something.

You (all of you) should track down the handful of shows he did as a DJ on the BBC.

Actually, there you go:

https://exchange.prx.org/series/27024-joe-strummer-s-london-calling

I’d heard some of it, but did not own a copy or ever listened to the whole record. It’s really good all the way through. I don’t think there is anything new in this release other than it’s a 2-record set on special pink 180-gram vinyl. Not that pink is special, mind you.

Sturgill Simpson is getting his old band back together for some Festival somewhere…I sure hope this means he’s thinking about touring again.

3 Likes

I hope it’s a sign he’s gonna make new music.

The bluegrass album and the story album were both okay but only just so.

1 Like

Spinoff from the Moody Blues topic in the Dead Pool thread re: Knights in White Satin

Just heard D’yer Mak’er on the radio and thought of a decent discussion topic: good artists with popular songs that are actually shitty

1 Like

You mean like, Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da?

2 Likes

Paul is guilty of that and also the worst Christmas song of all time.

2 Likes

John referred to some of those songs as “granny shit”.

2 Likes

As great as Sir Paul is, he’s got some real clunkers.

1 Like

Silly Love Songs, The Doggone Girl is Mine?!?!? WTF, Paul?

I remember the first time I really “heard” Wonderful Christmas Time…1991, shopping at the Galleria for a girlfriend present, and whatever anchor store I was in played it literally 3 times in a row…I left without buying anything in the middle of the 3rd and went to a different store

eta: every time I hear John Mulaney’s “What’s New Pussycat” bit, I think of that afternoon.

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, any idea which ones?

I don’t know how anyone can hear that song and not think of what an amazing piece of songwriting craftsmanship it is. Even just the bassline.

The Beatles all grew up in a world full of music hall and music hall tunes so it was natural for them to be influenced by it and they mimic it with aplomb.

I feel the “granny tunes” sort of criticism is rooted in a teenager’s view of music–it has to be heavy rock or perfect country or strict goth, metal, punk whatever or it’s shit or mom rock or too “straight”. But good music is good music and not applying labels is the sign of a cultured musical palette.

Aren’t “good” and “shitty” labels?

It’s the banality of the lyrics that I can’t stand.

They are; perhaps I should have said the only labels that are important in a musical discussion are “Music I Like” and “Music I Don’t Like”.

2 Likes

He’s making a statement. He’s saying some people think they’ve had enough of silly love songs but he sees that isn’t so.

1 Like

That reminded me of this.

1 Like

I’m that way with art and classical music: I know little about either but I know what I like when I see/hear it.