Music, 2022

To this thread:

Pics or it didn’t happen.

I couldn’t agree with you more- they were my favorite band growing up in the ‘80s. I played the shit out of Kick when it came out in 8th grade, and that began my fandom. Sadly, I never got to see them as they came to Tucson Summer ‘88 and I couldn’t get a ticket for their concert. I was about to enter HS and wasn’t exactly rolling in dough (I was wearing Jimmy Z’s shorts a lot when not pegging my jeans).
The rerelease 3 yrs ago of their movie from the Wembley Arena show in ‘91 was epic and I had chills watching it in the theater. I also have a few Aussie buddies who tell me in Oz INXS is a national treasure.
I still get excited hearing their music whenever it comes on.

We’ll look past their music spawned after their reality show and subsequent lead singer winner. Ugh.

Live baby live.

ETA- if you ever get the chance to watch the documentary/movie that came out 2 years ago about Michael Hutchence, I highly recommend it.

Is it going to make me hate Bob Geldof?

If so I’m fine with it.

When England and Australia play each other at cricket, there is a token trophy held by the winner, called “The Ashes”. With that bit of background…

After Hutchence’s death, there was a petition to have Paula Yates made captain of the England cricket team, because “she knows how to fuck Australians and bring home the ashes.”

In a series of five boys, all one year apart, cousins, I was (and am) the second oldest, so there wasn’t much for me in the way of handmedowns. Iron-on knee patches, absolutely, at least up until the point where we figured out it was kind of cool to have rips in the knees of your jeans.

Also, I rocked the shit out of corduroy before corduroy was cool.

1 Like

Was corduroy ever cool?

Apparently when Chuck wore it.

1 Like

I wore clothes too.

I saw INXS back in '85 and their lead singer was one of the most charismatic front men I’ve ever seen. Not Mick or Freddy but he was close to that level.

1 Like

Still is.

1 Like

It’s a good job he had such good looks and charisma. Because the rest of the band…not so much.

Corduroy and chukka boots.

I was going to say, corduroy is awesome, but you need to know where to find it.

1 Like

Enjoy

1 Like

That’s excellent.

4 Likes

In the morning, don’t say you leave me

43 years ago today Pennie Smith photographed The Clash at the New York Palladium September 20, 1979. She made one of the most famous images in (punk) rock history.

8 Likes

Wow. It’s so obvious in retrospect, but it never occurred to me that someone had to actually take that picture and that it was a perfect, unstaged moment that the photographer had only a heartbeat to capture. And, of course, I’d never seen the original image, just that classic album cover. Fuckin’ iconic. Glad to know the photographer’s name now–I suspect that her other work will be a fun rabbit hole to go down later.

1 Like

A lot of shit changed for me after I heard that album.

3 Likes