Music, 2022

Beyonce set some kind of a record and I’m sure I have ever heard a song by her but couldn’t name it.

A friend turned me on to Vieux Farka Touré. He’s the son of a famous Malian singer, Ali Farka Touré, who did some really cool stuff with Ry Cooder.

I started listening to his new album Ali last night which is a collaboration with notable Texan trio Khruangbin and covers some of his dad’s songs. Really fucking good.

1 Like

I have no idea what made me think of this, but seeing your post in the music thread made me think of Susanna Hoffs, whom I saw in something the other day. If there was ever a personification of a fine wine that got more elegant and graceful with each year of age, it’s her.

2 Likes

Oh man, Susanna Hoffs and the Bangles. That brings back some memories…

I’ll be in my bunk.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Exact same age:

1 Like

Today I learned this is a cover of a Simon and Garfunkel song. I had to google the original and it is fun to see Paul with hair and Art with a hair cut. Plus why even bring the 12 string guitar on the stage when you have a sound track playing behind you.

I had no clue who the first was until I saw another article. What the hell, Material Girl.

I thought it was M3GAN’s grandma.

2 Likes

That photo was all over the interwebs this week. I guess it was from the Grammy’s a few days ago? At any rate, there was a period where Madonna looked like she was embracing her “life experience” and was actually kind of attractive. But holy sweet shit, she fell off the wagon. “Graceful” will never be a word used to describe her.

The top one was the infamous guard at Auschwitz?

Irma Grese.

Maybe that’s the look she was going for?

1 Like

If so, she nailed it.

That collaboration with Khruangbin has gotten a lot of airplay on KUTX here in Austin, but I’m not feeling it, and I’m a big Khruangbin fan.
Especially their bassist, Laura Lee.

And, for the record, Susanna Hoffs, still makes me want to walk like an Egyptian after all these years.

I need a minute.

I saw Vieux Farka Touré open for Khruangbin last year. I haven’t heard any of VFT’s recorded output but I didn’t find too much to compel me during his set. It was my first time seeing Khruangbin, and they certainly held my attention.

I was recently introduced to Khraungbin by a guy in southern california, of all places. They are terrific.

2 Likes

Their collaborations with Leon Bridges (Texas Sun & Texas Moon) are pretty effing good.

I will say, though, that talking about Khruangbin is really getting away from the point of this thread, which is Susanna Hoffs.

3 Likes

Gillian Shagwell!

Yeah baby!!

Susanna Hoffa and Jamie Gertz will always be my two favorites from the ‘80s/growing up.

Off to my bunk…

1 Like