More Manfredball

It will elicit little surprise that I come down strongly, unequivocally and forever against this idiotic, millennial style solution to a non-problem that further perverts the game. In my view, bollywoggery should be celebrated on general principle, and I doubt the league has sufficiently thought through the implications of what now will be a surfeit of nail polish in major league clubhouses.

2 Likes

Oh, man. A list of non-problems.

The funniest one is language problems. This miraculous new system to stop sign-stealing uses the spoken word.

Okay.

ETA:

The player wearing the speaker can choose the language in which it speaks.

Every player wearing a receiver actually hears the same instructions in their very own chosen language.

1 Like

I think you mean “ok, boomer”

Dictionary.com has summed up “OK boomer” as “a viral internet slang phrase used, often in a humorous or ironic manner, to call out or dismiss out-of-touch or close-minded opinions associated with the Baby Boomer generation and older people more generally.”

Out-of-touch or close-minded, eh? I know your view of my age.

That was my next question whether there was a UN-style translation microphone.

Just a joke

I believe the Apple Watch does that but I’ll have to check with the Red Sox

2 Likes

Old man yells at cloud server.

2 Likes

“Old man” is not yelling at anything, and you, if you are lucky, will be my age some day.

1 Like

Fuck Fiers. Fuck the Yankees. Man stubs toe, laws created. Fuck Manfred. I’ll let myself out now.

2 Likes

My only comment about it is an aspect of the game that fans have a hard time participating in and so I don’t care about it unless it’s important to the players somehow. I can tell if someone is a good base stealer or can throw a good curveball, but I can’t really tell if a team is stealing signs better than another. Maybe someone really familiar with sign stealing could, but it’s hard to pick up while watching on tv (and definitely on radio).

1 Like

Ditto. Makes sense that those who’ve spent their lives in the dugout would feel different about it from those who’ve spent their lives in the stands.

I guarantee you it will not prevent cross ups.

Will the player get to chose the voice he hears…say “Sensual Latina”, “Naughty Librarian” or “Dominatrix”. Cause that would be super cool.

1 Like

Dude, just say “Florence Henderson”. We know you’re thinking it.

2 Likes

If MLB wants to ban the use of real-time sign capture and transfer via camera, fine. But eradicating sign stealing from the game in its entirety is silly. It’s a valuable tool, and players in high school look for tells from pitchers and catchers all the time. We did it every game my four years on varsity.

Pretty sure legitimate old-fashioned sign stealing has been rendered moot with the paranoia over the new-fangled electronic kind.

Why/how?

Catchers still have to set up and receive the pitch.

Pitchers still have to toe the rubber and deliver the ball.

Tells and tipping will still be in play.

Verlander voiced support for such a system years ago.

Is it silly that it’s come to this?
Sure.

Surprising?
Not in the least.

3 Likes