Minor League Team Contraction, Good Idea? Houston the Source?

Maybe you could negotiate to apply them to only Skeeter games over the next few years?

But the tickets come with a free frogurt.

Just three leagues in High A (not four) per the latest reporting from BA. Which honestly makes a lot more sense. Still no announcements about specific teams in the leagues but again it could look like this:

From MLB

Blockquote The Mahoning Valley Scrappers, State College Spikes, Trenton Thunder, West Virginia Black Bears and Williamsport Crosscutters will serve as inaugural members of the MLB Draft League, set to open in 2021, Major League Baseball announced Monday. The new circuit comes as part of MLB’s reorganization of the Minor Leagues following the expiration of the Professional Baseball Agreement earlier this fall.

Like the appy league deal that was in partnership with USA Baseball, this league is in partnership with Prep Baseball Report.

And the pioneer league is transitioning to an independent “parter league” .

MLB announces the Pioneer League will become a "Partner League" and transition from affiliated status to an independent league. All eight current teams will remain in the league. pic.twitter.com/Tyqh9jb3M4

— Kyle Glaser (@KyleAGlaser) November 30, 2020

Independent partner league sounds like an open relationship for baseball teams.

2 Likes

Hahahahaha.

Has anyone seen any info about how the current minor leaguers ( especially short season) might be assigned?

I have been looking. Basically 7 rosters + the extras off the 40 man + any international free agents sighed once that starts back up in January all need to fit onto 6 rosters.

I think it will be particularly interesting to see how the moves are made.

Baseball America reporting today (see paywall’d article below) provides some clarity on the roster issues and from the way it sounds such issues may be largely moot for some organizations such as the Astros.

First of all, what hasn’t changed. Orgs are still allowed to field 2 teams if they so wish in the Dominican Summer League. IIRC, the DSL roster limit is 35 players. So in theory an org could have 70 players at any given time playing in the Dominican. And note that they don’t all have to be int’l signees. On several occasions over the years i’ve seen the Astros assign draftees to their DSL club. Speaking of Houston, from 2010-2019 they had 2 DSL teams in 4 of those years (2014-2017) and just 1 DSL team during the rest of that time (2010-2013, 2018-2019). So for 2021 they could again add another DSL team if they choose. My guess is they won’t but may choose to do so in 2022 and later.

As far as domestic affiliates are concerned, the new rules apparently will state that orgs are limited to 180 players. That includes active rosters, players on the restricted list, players on the injured list and non-active players (i.e., basically the guys who are in extended spring training). That 180 player figure is higher than what was expected and that leads to the possibility of orgs deciding to field a second team in the two complex leagues. Actually fielding 2 teams already existed for some orgs. In 2019 for example, the Yankees, Phillies and Tigers all had 2 teams in the Gulf Coast League. Over in the Arizona League that year, the Indians, Padres, Brewers, Dodgers, Giants, Athletics and Cubs all went with 2 teams.

My guess is in 2021 most orgs will field 2 teams in the complex leagues in order to deal with the “backlog/bottleneck” of players resulting from no minor league games being played in 2020. Who knows what happens in 2022 and beyond but you would think some orgs might go back to just 1 complex team. But the range of number of minor league teams per org theoretically would be:

• 8 teams (4 full season affiliates + 2 complex teams + 2 DSL teams)
  • 7 teams (4 full season affiliates + 2 complex teams + 1 DSL team)*
  • 6 teams (4 full season affiliates + 1 complex team + 1 DSL team)

*Alternatively 4 full season affiliates + 1 complex team + 2 DSL teams

The range of number of teams per org in 2019 was 7-9 and i think the average was around 8. I’m guessing but I suspect the average # of teams per org going forward will be 7 teams. So the average job losses per org might be 25-30 players plus associated coaching personnel.

The Astros fielded just 7 teams in 2019. If they add that 2nd GCL team in 2021 and choose to keep it after that (or instead go with a second DSL team in 2022), then the Astros might not see any cutbacks. Of course they were already the forerunners under Luhnow & Co having cut their number of minor league teams after the 2017 season from 9 down to the current 7.

1 Like

Thank you!!

This is exactly whatvI was looking for.

1 Like

Nate always delivers.

2 Likes

Well, this is not what I was expecting at all

If they are going to allow up to 180 minor league players in The States

Currently have 153 on all domestic rosters + 10-12 (or so) that are currently on 40 man

DSL teams are up to 35 players, but organization can have 2 teams.

Current DSL roster is 34

This does not add up to the loss of jobs and cutting of players I was expecting.

I’m sure you meant to put a “not” in that sentence.

And that would be correct: for the Astros and other orgs who had just 7 minor league teams in 2019 the minor league restructuring/contraction seems to be a non-event at least in terms of reducing the overall number of players in the organization.

Thanks- fixed it

I suspect this won’t be the last lawsuit filed in connection with the contraction…

2 Likes

Kaplan reports Fayetteville is moving from High A to Low A and Asheville will be the Astros’ new High A affiliate.

Asheville becomes the Astros’ hi-A team. Fayetteville shifts from being their hi-A club to their lo-A club.

And yes as expected the Rangers have re-affiliated with Round Rock.

Also as expected San Antonio does revert to being a AA team as part of the Texas League. It will re-affiliate with San Diego.

(paywall’d article)

OH MY FUCKING GOD. Christmas comes early to Knoxbanedoodle!

3 Likes

Last time the good guys were in Ashville it was low A and Richard Hidalgo was in CF – not much of anyone else worth noting on that team.

It’s 119 and not 120 as the fate of Fresno remains unresolved. The Grizzlies have balked at being moved from the AAA Pacific Coast League to the lo-A California League.

If they do away with the Tacos hat I’m going to be pissed.