Minor League Team Contraction, Good Idea? Houston the Source?

Back in the DAY!

AKA: The days of yore!

Canā€™t believe the fans actually voted for that name, and Imperials was right there on a tee and everything. Sad!
We live at 99 and 1093 so itā€™s not far for us at all. Great stadium too. Guess the ticket prices wonā€™t be the same though.

I wouldnā€™t be on this board if the Astros hadnā€™t come to Greeneville in 2004. I left Gville in 2016 just a couple of years before the Astros did. Still pulling for them because of following kids through the system. Might be truer on a lower level than a higher level too. AAA rosters have a lot more Minor League Free agents than home grown folks.

Iā€™ve played a few Denial League games at that yard. Last time the toilet in the 3B dugout had been completely wrecked and stopped up for a couple of years. Iā€™m guess theyā€™ll get that fixed.

Was that after Roger Clemens pitched there?

Goofy minor league names/logos/mascots sell a lot of merchandise. Sod Poodles, Trash Pandas, etc. I donā€™t mind ā€œSkeetersā€ that much, but I would really like the trend to stop. There are some great names getting passed over.

Isotopes is my favorite.

I love that one so much.

I became an Astros fan because of my exposure to the players as a kid. Mine was spring training and the team hotel ( mom worked there and we lived there)

I think this was very true among other kids at minor league and spring training games around the country.

This was essential in building a fan base.

However, I donā€™t think thatā€™s the case anymore. Times change.

Minor league affiliates change more often than ever

Players change teams more often than ever

With internet and social media, kids are more likely to become fans of any team regardless of geography.

Just my opinion.

That is all any of us ever say.

1 Like

The Astros are located on ATT Sprtsnet and the Rangers are located on FSW.

Those are the locations that matter to the vast vast majority of the swing fans.

1 Like

Astros release press release making it officially officialā€¦

The majority ownership part is new, and interesting. I think prior reports had only indicated they would have ā€œsomeā€ stake in the team. Makes a lot more sense with that, and the last sentence.

We bought a house last January just north of Dell Diamond across from Old Settlerā€™s Park and I was looking forward to attending many Express games with my young son and watching Astros prospects try to work their way to The Show. I bought a mini season ticket package before the season started only for covid to scrap everything. That was a huge bummer, but I knew that my tickets would apply to the 2021 MiLB season so I was okay with the Express no refund policy. To say that Iā€™m upset by this development would be an understatement. This is awful news and I think Crane is an asshole for ditching Central Texas Astros fans again and leaving the stRangers to step in and fill that void.

This sucks so hard.

2 Likes

No refund policy? That seems wrong.

From what iā€™ve read, that was pretty standard across minor league baseball in 2020.

Thatā€™s a legitimate gripe. Sorry man.

Yes it sucks, hopefully they will revisit this policy in light of the affiliate changes but Iā€™m not optimistic.

In other news, it seems that Reid Ryan is no longer with the organization.

Coincidence that it coincides with the Skeeters announcement?