Mini Hot Stove

FWIW, Roster Resources/Fangraphs has CBT payroll at $193.7MM which puts them at $36.3MM under.

And if you read this thread once a couple of additional CBA-related tweaks are entered in the tables that CBT payroll will rise by $2MM which would put the Astros at $34.3MM under.

An Astros rumor. If you can’t beat him, sign him:

The Cuban connection (i.e., Yuli) again in action?

That’s interesting and surprising. Seems contrary to the minimizing k’s philosophy. Where would he play?

RF with Tucker in CF.

When asked for comment, 70s sensation Charro simply responded “OK Kikuchi”.

1 Like

My question is if the team does sign another outfielder then where does that leave the current prospect outfielders?

The team can keep a maximum ( logistically not by rule) of 6 OF/DH

Tucker and Alvarez are penciled in to 2 spots for at least the next 4 yrs.

Whoever gets signed will be penciled in to another for X years.

That leaves 1 starting spot and 1-2 bench spots for:

Meyers
McCormick
Siri
Brantley (22 only)
Leon
Barber
Brewer
Whitaker
Barefoot
Daniels
etc

My point is not that the prospects are proven or sure things or should be given spots.

Is some veteran FA at FA cost better than some of them? Which is the better choice?

My point is that they are assets. If the team signs an OF then at least some of them are blocked and should be traded for bullpen help, a SS, or 1B of the future.

I think I prefer:

Leon, Barber, Brewer, or Barefoot replacing Brantley than signing a veteran.

In my opinion McCormick and Siri can hold down CF adequately until Meyers returns.

Have you seen anything about when Meyers might return?

Yes.

I just saw today he is expected to be out through the end of May.

I am trying to find where I saw it ( I read too many message boards and rumor sites lol)

Edit: it was a 3/10/22 article on mlb.com by McTaggett that I actually saw here under “Aches and pains 2022”

Maybe this is what you saw earlier.

2 Likes

Soler is a hard no for me. Strikes out way too much for my liking.

1 Like

MLB Trade rumors just reported Chris Bassitt to the Mets for 2 pitching prospects.

1 Like

What?

Niko Goodrum?

Who saw that coming?

Robel Garcia 2.0

1 Like

Yeah, I’m sorry, I don’t like this. He may can play multiple positions but he’s useless at the plate. Now, I understand that his glove and not his bat is probably why we signed him, but players at the plate like this, are the exact opposite of what we have built our recent success on.

A monolingual Marwin who isn’t as good is still a pretty useful player.

Goodrum also has options remaining.

I like this signing: