Mini Hot Stove

When asked for comment, 70s sensation Charro simply responded “OK Kikuchi”.

1 Like

My question is if the team does sign another outfielder then where does that leave the current prospect outfielders?

The team can keep a maximum ( logistically not by rule) of 6 OF/DH

Tucker and Alvarez are penciled in to 2 spots for at least the next 4 yrs.

Whoever gets signed will be penciled in to another for X years.

That leaves 1 starting spot and 1-2 bench spots for:

Meyers
McCormick
Siri
Brantley (22 only)
Leon
Barber
Brewer
Whitaker
Barefoot
Daniels
etc

My point is not that the prospects are proven or sure things or should be given spots.

Is some veteran FA at FA cost better than some of them? Which is the better choice?

My point is that they are assets. If the team signs an OF then at least some of them are blocked and should be traded for bullpen help, a SS, or 1B of the future.

I think I prefer:

Leon, Barber, Brewer, or Barefoot replacing Brantley than signing a veteran.

In my opinion McCormick and Siri can hold down CF adequately until Meyers returns.

Have you seen anything about when Meyers might return?

Yes.

I just saw today he is expected to be out through the end of May.

I am trying to find where I saw it ( I read too many message boards and rumor sites lol)

Edit: it was a 3/10/22 article on mlb.com by McTaggett that I actually saw here under “Aches and pains 2022”

Maybe this is what you saw earlier.

2 Likes

Soler is a hard no for me. Strikes out way too much for my liking.

1 Like

MLB Trade rumors just reported Chris Bassitt to the Mets for 2 pitching prospects.

1 Like

What?

Niko Goodrum?

Who saw that coming?

Robel Garcia 2.0

1 Like

Yeah, I’m sorry, I don’t like this. He may can play multiple positions but he’s useless at the plate. Now, I understand that his glove and not his bat is probably why we signed him, but players at the plate like this, are the exact opposite of what we have built our recent success on.

A monolingual Marwin who isn’t as good is still a pretty useful player.

Goodrum also has options remaining.

I like this signing:

The addition of goodrum might Allie Peña to start the year in AAA with Diaz starting at SS in the early going.

I have a much better idea. How about Jim Crane sign the best position player on the Astros roster last season who also happens to play SS? His name is Carlos Correa. If they can’t, then, sure this is a possibility.

5 Likes

I didn’t realize Goodrum has options remaining. That improves this deal in my mind.

It basically improves the position player to pitcher ratio on the 40 man roster and adds 1.4 mil to the payroll.

So looking at Goodrums stats. He is terrible against right handers but great against lefties.
RHP 201/278/375
LHP 310/374/456

Keep him away from righties and he should produce

1 Like

All applicable grains of salt noted, Peña killed RHP and sucked against LHP in Sugar Land.

The A’s get worse: