Inevitable You-Know-Who Thread

Hehe

Narrator: Team Trump has not advanced any claim of declassification.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

DeSantis is going to pay these people a lot of money.

1 Like

I love everything that Chief Salazar has to say here. And am completely conflicted by the visual of the video that screams neo-nazi extremist manifesto.

1 Like

When I first saw it with the volume off, I assumed he was MA law enforcement, because their stuff would make even Nazis blush.

1 Like

Not seeing that,
DeSantis rapidly replacing Trump as the bete noire of all who are virtuous - appearing on the cover of this week’s New York Times Sunday Magazine.

DeSantis is not ready for prime time. His shit will play with Trump’s base, but that only gets you a fraction of a fraction of the electorate. He’s not bright, he’s just a thug and will flame out when he tries to take his campaign national.

Major announcement from Tish James coming this morning. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

QAnon says that Democrats are paedophiles.

Meanwhile, Democrats…

Great. Now do the statute of limitations for everything else.

1 Like

Statute of limitations is overall a good thing and an important principle of justice. I get that there are exceptions, such as the aforementioned child sexual abuse, but allowing the government to hold something over your head indefinitely doesn’t exactly square with enlightenment ideals.

1 Like

The UK has statutes of limitations only for offenses akin to misdemeanors. I see no value in having a limitation on felonies, such that you can wriggle off the hook even after an investigation has been opened if you can run out the clock.

Regardless of the above difference of opinions, if it’s right and proper to remove the limitation on chid sexual arise, there is very little logic in keeping it for adult sexual abuse, especially as many of the same impediments for children coming forward to report such crimes apply to adults, too.

From the article:

The bill eliminates time constraints for survivors to file civil claims related to sex abuse crimes against minors, including forced labor, sex trafficking, sexual abuse and sexual exploitation of children.

Previously, minors who survived such abuse were able to file federal claims until they reached the age of 28 or until a decade after the violation or injury was discovered.

No federal statute of limitations was in place for criminal claims regarding child sex abuse.

Well, here in the U.S. the right to criminal due process of law is a pretty big one. You have a right to know the charges brought against you, you have the right to know who your accusers are, you have the right to a fair and impartial trial, you have the right to legal counsel, you have the right to not be forced to testify against yourself, you have the right to not face double jeopardy, you have the right to not be subject to cruel or unsual punishment, you have the right for your trial to be public, you have the right to present evidence in your own defense, and you have the right to all of this without “unnecessary delay”. That last part is actually quite important in supporting many of the former.

1 Like

As an example:

“Limey, one of our employees says they witness you steal that iPhone 3 in 2008.”

“What, I paid for that”

“You have your receipt?”

“Huh? No, I threw that out six iPhone generations ago”

“Gee, that’s too bad. We may come after you now, or we may wait another 10 years…just keep that in mind as you live the rest of your life. Thoughts and prayers”

You don’t see where that’s uncool?

The problem isn’t that criminal cases drag out too long once initiated, it’s that the statute limit can prohibit the initiation of a criminal case if too much time has passed. In this regard, “unnecessary delay” is a very relative term, and not one that is easily codified into set time periods.

I get that it shouldn’t be absolute. But see my example above. You think that’s ok? And that it’s OK for them to accuse you after every generation of iPhone you buy? Just to fuck with you and make your life miserable?

In your hypothetical, I would be able to prove purchase without the paper receipt - Apple will have records. If someone accused me of it every year, I’d get them fired and/or sue them for harassment. Also, I’d laminate the fucking receipt after year one.

Ignoring that your remedy only works is there’s some sort of prohibition against it…it’s almost like there should be some sort of…statute…that says “if you think I wronged you, make your case and let’s get it settled fairly. Otherwise, STFU”. Which is exactly what the statute of limitations is. Again, I understand that there isn’t a defined time for every offense and there are exceptions. And like anything else, there is the opportunity for abuse. But all of those other elements of due process aren’t babies you want to throw out with that bathwater. Even if it’s Trump-contaminated bathwater.

1 Like

Well, it’s actually a crime to file false accusations maliciously, so there is that. Failing that, a civil suit for libel/slander is a remedy even if there’s not a legal prohibition against it.

Not when it’s the government doing the filing.

I think we agree that removing the statute of limitations for sexual abuse of children is a good thing. As I said above, the next logical step is to do the same for adults. Then we can work down the list to see at what point we disagree, but I think we’d get a reasonable way down the list before we get to “iPhone theft”.