Inevitable You-Know-Who Thread

Pettinness and corruption are two of this administration’s (and president’s) signature trademarks.

The petty: https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/478816-trump-administration-to-roll-back-michelle-obamas-school-lunch-rules

“The Trump administration on Friday announced plans to roll back school lunch standards on vegetables and fruits originally promoted by Michelle Obama, unveiling the proposal on the former first lady’s birthday.”

And the corrupt: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-17/white-house-considers-changes-to-law-banning-overseas-bribes

It’s pretty brazen that this administration announces its intention to relax the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act just days before beginning an impeachment trial where the president’s ostensible defense about (illegally) withholding aid to Ukraine was his overarching concern in rooting out foreign corruption.

“It’s just so unfair that American companies aren’t allowed to pay bribes to get business overseas,” Trump said, according to an passage published by the Post. “We’re going to change that.”

Try convincing a Trump supporter that these things are wrong. I’ll give you my brother’s number to start.

Agreed on rolling back the standards on her birthday is petty.

Although, have you ate a school lunch lately? My wife cooks healthy so my kids are used to eating healthy foods. That’s not a problem. Problem is the standards are a disaster.

Entrees have to come in at fewer than 350 calories and with fewer than 480 milligrams of sodium.

Let’s take a school burger for instance.

• To cut back on the weekly allowance of red meat the where’s the beef proportion was embraced

• To cut back on sodium the burgers are flavorless. No salt and pepper packs are available either.

• To cut back on fat no cheese

• Whole wheat buns…I guess to cut back on sugar…I really don’t know.

On top of that mine are growing teenagers that can put away some food. They’re always hungry. The portions given at the school are not enough, especially when they are doing sports like basketball right now.

I’m sure the regulation was well meaning but it didn’t reach the intended goal IMO

On top of that mine are growing teenagers that can put away some food. They’re always hungry. The portions given at the school are not enough, especially when they are doing sports like basketball right now.

That was the issue my wife saw as a high school teacher. Kids who had workouts in the mornings and practice in the afternoons were not getting enough fuel.

It also did away with the one of the favorite meals at the school - Pinto Beans and Cornbread. Even the teachers ate the school lunch that day. My wife never forgave the feds for taking that meal away from her.

So MoscowMitch has released the procedures for the Senate trial that he’d said all along were the same as for the Clinton trial. Guess what? They’re not.

Lowlights include:

• two 12-hour sessions starting at 1pm for opening remarks;
  • no consideration of witnesses prior to end of opening remarks
  • no acceptance of House evidence

This is nuts. The opening remarks will happen in the dead of night. They will have a vote to dismiss all charges before seeing any evidence. If they go forward, evidence and witnesses will be admitted - case-by-case - on a majority vote (i.e. they will vote of each piece of evidence individually).

I hope the Dems were ready for this. We all knew McConnell was a lying sack of shit about how the rules would be, so they better have a plan to make this hurt so bad that Republicans start to squeak.

It’s really unbelievable the hypocrisy and outright lying they get away with. Don’t accept House evidence but in their other breath say it’s the House’s job to collect the necessary evidence.

EDIT: McConnell changed his mind about the evidence, at least. It’s still a farce.

It’s a total farce. The type of show trials you read about in China and the Middle East.

And Russia…

Seriously. Trump has been running Putin’s playbook from the moment he oozed down the escalator in 2015.

Actually, Klobuchar seems to be the cream of a pretty weak crop, and I think that she’s electable. I believe that the President will still win reelection, and the reason why is the failed impeachment strategy.

Trump will get re-elected because people are either too stupid to see what a crook he is or too immoral to care.

Some people just want the crook to be on their side.

1 Like

Waldo, that’s hitting a little close to home for Astros fans right now.

Getting elected president, it’s alway the same.

The President will get reelected because the opposition’s candidates suck.

No, it is not “always the same.”

Congratulations. You just confirmed both of his points.

1 Like

Didn’t surprise me, at all.

True or not?

I wouldn’t have said it if it wasn’t true.

In service of walking and chewing gum, here’s some things that are happening right now that are getting buried by the impeachment trial:

• Trump said - out loud and to a knowingly hot mic - that he is looking at cutting “entitlements” in a second term; and
  • a Russian state bank deposited $500 billion into the accounts of a DeutscheBank subsidiary, just as that subsidiary was funding huge, risky loans to the Trump Organization.