In Praise of iMac

Ugh! Monthly subscriptions.

Car makers other than Tesla are already floating the idea that some of the toys on your car - like heated seats - would be on a subscription. Vinfast is trying to make the battery in its EVs a lease, which results in you paying for the car multiple times over.

We are just cash cows to be milked.

Forget Siri, I would be happy if they made iPhoto and the cloud not suck complete ass.

1 Like

Watching WWDC, and every year I am disappointed that the one thing that Apple has not added to its capabilities is a thesaurus.

Thereā€™s the usual raft of incremental upgrades to software capabilities, but the big thing is ā€œApple Intelligenceā€. Basically unlobotomizing Siri, without giving all your data to ChatGPT. It should now understand contextual and follow on requests, and also take actions in apps.

Looks pretty powerful, and is all on-device computation unless the request needs a larger sample size. In those circumstances, the Apple walled garden is expanded to include only Apple-approved servers where your data cannot be saved or used by anyone else.

AI capabilities such as writing/improving text and creating images/artwork are now built-in to Appleā€™s apps. It can control large data sets like your inbox or photo library. One example they gave is asking Siri for your DL number, and it will find a scan of your license, pull the number and drop it into your app.

ChatGPT stuff, but without your ass hanging out on the net.

HA! AppleGPT will allow you to search for a particular moment in a video. I hope theyā€™re ready for a bukkake of ā€œunusualā€ requests.

Oh wow! If Siri is stumped, it will ask if you will let it phone a friend; that friend being ChatGPT.

Here are the Cliff Notes:

Apple Intelligence starts at 9:25.

Well, some of my predictions were correct (e.g. all M-series devices getting the new AI features) and some were not (only iPhone 15 Pro getting them). Kind of surprised about the latter given that there are 2-3 years worth of iPhone Pros that have neural engines on par with at least the M1. Maybe there were performance (RAM) or battery life concerns in the older devices aside from the neural engine TOPS figures. Or itā€™s just Apple being Apple.

1 Like

Good edit.

Iā€™m sure a lot of this is just catching up to Android, but a lot of it smacks of the new AI theyā€™re rolling out. They were very careful not to say ā€œAIā€ at any point so as not to step on Timā€™s reveal at the end.

A very good explanation of the importance of Apple Intelligence.

1 Like