In Praise of iMac

I have one I bought from Ebay with an i7 and it works just fine. I was using it to conduct daily business remotely, so I’m kind of a power user in that sense. It had three DP connections and a SSD drive. Wireless built in. Would definitely purchase another, in fact I did and gave it to my Mom to replace her tower. No issues, even being used.

eta I think I paid about $200. It’s a Lenovo.

1 Like

Apple’s event tonight was pretty short. M3 chip going in the MacBook Pro and 24” iMac. It’s better than before…better, stronger, faster.

Notable news was a $400 price cut on the base 13” MacBook Pro (my guess being they wanted to reposition it in the range vs. the MacBook Air).

No other goodies or one more things.

Honestly, the base $600 Mac Mini destroys everything in its price range in terms of performance, quality, longevity, and value. I would give it a serious look.

If you really want to stick to Windows, though, I’m personally a fan of the Dell Optiplex Micro. Here’s some new-ish stuff from the Dell Outlet:

https://m.dell.com/h5/m/us/InventorySearch?brandid=2802&c=us&cs=28&l=en&s=dfb&frid=332&ref=cpcl_us-optiplex-3000-item-10_cta_primaryv2_shopnow

Or you can find older models on eBay for a wide range of prices.

1 Like

Ain’t no man gonna go that route with me.

All I did to mine was upgrade the RAM TO 16GB. It’s ridiculous what I can push it to do, and it just powers through it without skipping a beat; cool and quiet as a graveyard.

In praise of Apple Watch.

This is actually some serious shit.

It’s still just a butt ugly digital Apple Watch.

1 Like

Problem solved.

2 Likes

Cross that off my Christmas list, if you haven’t already.

1 Like

Apple Watch

GI Joe with the Kung Fu Grip

1 Like

I have three HomePod Minis. Two are fine, but I swear that one of them ate paint chips as a kid.

Careful. One bad apple spoils the whole bunch.

1 Like

We have two. One of the Siris listens to me but won’t take any instructions from my wife, and the other Siri is exactly the reverse.

1 Like

They’re all brats.

My wife doesn’t take any instruction either. But her name is not Siri.

1 Like

Beat on the Brats

1 Like

How do you solve a problem like “Hey Siri”?

It was a serious design error to make the HomePod Minis a perfect size and shape for throwing.

I think it’s a cool gadget, and it’s going to take a while before it replaces my Mac mini, but I think that time will come. It’s already at least as powerful of a computer as my actual Mac mini.

As to the price? Well, it’s far too expensive for now. But how much do you pay for a computer and a giant monitor? Mine cost $1500 together, but I also have a 75" 4K TV and an Apple TV that this unit also replaces if, say, you live in a small apartment.

Someone could choose to downsize their living space as anywhere you can sit down becomes your office and media space. And by downsize, I mean, this completely changes the work/entertainment situation if you live in a small/studio apartment, your parents’ basement or even a van. No more will van-lifers be stuck working on a tiny laptop on a tiny table. You can be sitting outside, ffs!

I really think this is going to change the game because they have solutions for the issues of how you operate a VR/AR headset in the real world (Marques was able to play ping pong with this thing on!). It’s all a little clunky for now, but the original iPhone was a slow, buggy, locked down piece of shit by modern standards; and yet it was a revolution.

Too good not to share.

2 Likes

This guy was hoisted out of his parents’ basement so that he could drive a Tesla while wearing a Vision Pro headset.

Didn’t see this brand of lunacy coming, but I should have.