In Praise of iMac

Lol, Apple sucks.

I remember the Ipods, had one circle in the middle with a circle around that.

Total fucking idiot shit. No left-right-up-down, pause/play/next…nope. Just a fucking circle.

Seriously? The click-wheel was revolutionary, in that it allowed the user to scroll quickly through hundreds of tracks. The interface was designed so that “up, down, left, right” wasn’t needed. Did you ever own one? It was amazing.

Prior to the iPod, MP3 players could store almost an entire CD’s worth of songs. Singular. So controls to navigate the track listing really weren’t much of an issue.

Here’s a history lesson on what the iPod did to the personal music sector.

It all seems quaint now, but it exploded onto the market at the time.

They also did very quickly build play/pause/next buttons into the wheel, which improved the interface enormously. I adored my old iPod mini.

1 Like

We can disagree. That Apple fruferall was a massive level of horseshit.

SEE? This guy gets it.

Plex Update:

I have been re-ripping my old Blu Rays in raw, uncompressed form. They look great and I am appreciating Plex now that I am really starting to get my head around it. It’s so much better than the “Computers” app that it is replacing on my Apple TV, and it runs natively on my 4K smart TV in my office.

Speaking of 4K, I just ripped my first 4K movie. Wow! The additional detail is incredible and, thanks to Plex (and after some futzing with my BD drive’s firmware), the process is exactly the same. I don’t know why I thought it wouldn’t be, but there it is.

I am going to be selective about upgrading certain movies to 4K. The good thing is that these are almost exclusively older movies, so the 4K Blu Rays are cheap, and even more so if I buy them used. I have done this successfully with regular Blu Rays as I only need them to “play” once and I don’t care what the box looks like. New movies I can wait until the initial price drops and/or used copies are available.

The irony of this is that Apple was among the earliest adopters of USB-C, Thunderbolt 3, and USB Power Delivery on mainstream laptops. They dragged the computer industry kicking and screaming into the USB-C era, only to themselves get dragged in kicking and screaming by the EU.

1 Like

Am I getting worse at typing, or has Apple turned up the aggression rating on its autocorrection?

Your Lamy Safari won’t do that to you.

1 Like

So for a while now, I’ve noticed that my iPhone has been deleting music that I did not acquire through iTunes. I would try to sync with my iTunes library, and while they are there on my computer, they would not sync to my phone. Tonight, I figured out why. When Apple Music Library Sync is on, it will only play music that is available on iTunes. I figured this out because of the discussion on Eddy Grant and some of his albums were ones that got deleted. I finally put two and two together and got four. At any rate, I have now turned Music Library Sync off and can sync all of the music I have burned over the years.

1 Like

I believe you need iTunes Match ($25/year) for this now, but I may be wrong.

Not sure about that. Apparently it comes activated, and if you don’t want it, you have to disable it from your devices. I don’t want it because I have lots of music that is not available on iTunes.

DON’T BUY A MAC

An Apple “Event” is happening next week where they are expected to announce a new line up of Macs with the M3 chip. This is expected to include iMacs (which are still rocking the M1 chip) and Mac Books, but not the Mac mini or Mac Pro.

Not iMac, but…my dad is needing a new computer. He does the typical home use stuff…internet, email, home shopping, MLB highlights, and perhaps the occasional YouTube video on batteries and light bulbs. He has this weird obsession with light bulbs. I’m not sure why. At any rate…he’s not a gamer or running any sort of business and doesn’t need a monitor or any real peripheral devices (he already has all that). He has his trusty iPad for FaceTime and surfing while on the sofa, so he doesn’t need a laptop.

But how about a mini PC? Were I in the market for something, I’d look strongly at one, but I’m not sure of the limitations or issues. I’m assuming they’re essentially just laptops without the screen and keyboard but wasn’t sure of any particular quirks or flaws. They are certainly priced right.

Thoughts?

Base Mac mini. It’s cheap ($599), will mesh seamlessly with his iPad and comes with more power and software than he will likely ever need.

How hard is it learn a Mac if you’ve never used one? He’s not opposed to learning new tricks, but he is an old dog. How hard is it to run all his existing PC-based stuff?

Almost anything he can run on a PC, he can run on a Mac. Something, like the Chrome browser, is free. But if he has to have MS Office apps, they’re not cheap and so will add to the transition cost. Personal finance software, like Quicken, suck the sweat off a dead man’s balls. If personal finance software is an important thing, run away from the Mac as fast as you can (unless it’s web-based like TurboTax).

As to re-learning, it’s really not that hard. The Mac is much more simple and intuitive so, while it’s different to Windows, it becomes more natural once you start to use it.

Gary at Mac Most is an invaluable resource:

As to things like MS Office files, the Pages, Numbers and Keynote apps that are included for free in the Mac OS can all import and export MS Office content. Following a theme here, if you’re a power-user of MS Office, you will find the capabilities of the MAC OS apps limited. But they are much easier to use (IMHO) and still provide more than enough function for someone like me who is steeped in MS Office.

Here’s Gary again:

He’s not a “power user” or anything, but does keep Excel spreadsheets and Word documents. And while I appreciate the Mac fandom…any thoughts on a mini PC?

This guy is a full-on Mac geek, and was wowed by this one.

1 Like