Hurricane Laura

In my experience that’s usually what happens to anybody once they fully come to grips with the fact that they are, in fact, in Pasadena.

1 Like

My grandparents lived in Pasadena when I was growing up. We could always smell when we were getting close driving in from San Antonio.

I will see all the smells mentioned thus far, and raise you one pogie factory in Pascagoula.

I’ll call with the stockyards in Lubbock when the wind is blowing just right. Staggering to a new visitor or resident.

2 Likes

The south side of Pasadena, down on Clear Lake and such, is fine. The northside, off of 225…not so much.

I’m all-in with the central FL chicken farms.

4 Likes

Props to NHC. Their 3.5 day forecast from Sunday was “off” by a statistical zero. 1km off. Really excellent. image

Here’s the track forecast from Sunday:

1 Like

Damn impressive.

We take y’all for granted way too much.

Thank you.

Yeah, I have to say, in terms of just raw power per square yard or per pound or whatever, chicken farms are the clear winners.

There is no animal on the face of the earth as nasty as a chicken.

My place up in Freestone County was near several chicken farms. I was in a good spot, as I was southeast of them, and the wind was primarily from that direction. But when it blew the other way…

And the worst was when they’d burn the dead chicken carcasses. I swear you could smell that all the way to Fairfield.

The pure stench of a paper plant comes in a close second. I’ve encountered 2 in my life and both times I’ve literally gagged.

I’ve been around petroleum and livestock for large parts of my life so I’m used to those familiar smells. Chickens and paper always somehow smack me across the face.

1 Like

That’s amazing.

The feedlots will make a maggot gag.

There is a stockyard about 15-20 miles outside Lubbock on the way to Clovis where the ammonia is so overpowering that it literally brings tears to your eyes.

Technically those are feedlots.

I-10 driving East into El Paso. First the feedlots near Anthony then the Arco plant in Ciudad Juarez. Goddamn, I really thought I’d repressed those memories until reading this thread.

1 Like

I grew up in the middle of the chemical plants near freeport, tx. If you have never been there. Ugh.

Then between a paper mills and chicken farms.

Yall bring back such wonderful memories.

I had an uncle who lived in Freeport for several years. I also turned down an offer to be the first baseball coach at Brazoswood High. I wanted to return to Brenham for 1970, and that turned out to be smart…

1 Like

TeeJoe, did the house come through it OK?

House is good. I had a neighbors oak tree decide to lean on the house, but surprisingly no damage. I crawled all around the attic and couldn’t see any daylight shining through.

A large pine tree wiped out my fence and power pole. Entergy is saying 2-3 weeks for power.

All my family except for my 93yr old grandmother did ok. A massive oak fell through her house. This is what insurance is for…She’s quiet and soft spoken but is resilient and driven.

The damage for SE Texas is minimal from what we’ve gotten before. The landfall location spared the area any storm surge. The wind damage was minimal. Power will be an issue for a couple weeks

2 Likes