Hot stove 2021

This offseason looks to be one of the most interesting in a long time. Heading into the CBA negotiations, it looks like owners are dumping some serious high-priced talent.

It’s going to get worse before it gets better.

Athletic article today speculated that the CBA negotiations may get delayed. (Owners would favor that, union would have to decide if it would be too their advantage)

Also the union may file a grievance against the owners because they didn’t try to play as many games as possible.

In other words, baseball gonna baseball.

What a bunch of Neros.

Tigers called him 30 minutes after game 6 ended.

Brad Hand cleared waivers.

For the life of me I don’t understand how Hinch wound up with the Tigers. If the White Sox were actually interested in him, that would seem to be the perfect match; I seem them as very similar to the 2015 Astros. The Tigers seem to be much more of a rebuilding project.

Rangers decline $18MM option on Kluber. They must really think he’s done.

That may be true, but it seems like anyone with an option year of >$10mil is being declined.

1 Like

Collusion!

That definitely seems to be the case. The owners may be preparing for a long, dark period. Or maybe they feel that the market will be such that they can get these guys back on much more advantageous contracts.

1 Like

They also have no reason to pay $18M to a pitcher that might take them from the worst team in the league to the second worst.

True, but they should try to draw more than the WS crowds in their new ballpark.

The ballpark is the draw. Welcome to Enron Field, 2000

True enough, although if you think he’s going to return to form, you could hold onto him to use him as trade bait next year. But that’s an expensive gamble.

Pittsburgh Pirates declined their $11M option on Chris Archer

He seems an excellent candidate for Astroing.

I think he might be past his expiration date.

That’s what everyone thought about Charlie Morton.

Good point but I don’t think Charlie was coming off TOS surgery as Archer is. I have read that Archer claims to be fully recovered FWIW.