HOF 2023

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/57231/moonshot-jose-altuve-didnt-cheat-but-the-red-sox-sure-did/

This remains the best quantitative look into the effect of the signal, imo. They laid off breaking pitches extremely well starting in the second inning (it usually took a few at-bats to crack the signs) but declining in efficacy as the game went on or when there were men on base (i.e. after opposing teams changed up their signs). ETA: This did not really improve their run scoring, on net.

FWIW the MLB report stated that they’d use different numbers of bangs for different offspeeds. I still don’t know why you’d null-signal for fastball though.

2 Likes

I honestly cannot believe Astros fans are still here wringing their hands over this, five years later.

9 Likes

Agreed! I could care less.

Preach

Only self-hating Astros “fans” named devin who don’t understand that flags fly forever and who will never understand the skill it takes to actually put a 95 mph fastball in play, much less for a hit, and who is naiive enough to ignore all the “smoke” coming from the rest of the league regarding stealing signs, as if this practice was not going on forever. Where did Beltran bring the system from,? Goe Jirardi and the Niiw York Hankers?

My office will not be responding to any further inquires on this issue and kindly refers interested parties to the statement listed above by my spokesman.

3 Likes

Agreed absolutely

Fuck off with that shit.

2 Likes

I don’t see any hand-wringing.

Sphinx: I don’t see how it could have helped them.

Knox: I can think of a way.

Jim: I think you’re wrong.

Knox: Maybe I am.

Some new guy: Knox is an irrelevant self-hating shitbird whose opinion doesn’t matter. Yadda yadda yadda.

1 Like

Knox has solid bona fides here.

No need to set a grenade off in the bunker

5 Likes

I will pretend you did not say those last few lines. You are a respected poster on this site.

ETA: you also are a highly intelligent good guy I have known since you were 10.

Fuck off yourself with your fuck off shit…big man.

STFU. Who are you?

Oh goody, a strong intro.

1 Like

Not a bitter old retired lawyer who’s most common retorts are “wfw” or “fuck you”. Who’s commentary adds nothing to dialogue. Try to say something coherent, old man.

I don’t believe I wrote anything you would feel a need to ignore, Coach.

Hahahaha. And “your supposition doesn’t matter” adds to the dialogue. Awesome. You are something else, boyfriend ‘80!

2 Likes

This season gets jollier every year.

6 Likes

Ho ho holy crap, it’s another troll!

Seems more likely it’s one of the few other slapdicks under a new name than a new one.

3 Likes