Guardians @ Astros, August 1, 2023

Framber threw three pitches from the stretch tonight.

3.4 pitches per batter.

1 Like

This is possibly the best pitched game in Astros history, depending on how you adjust for the opposing lineupsā€¦

It would have been better if the White Sox did their part, but they didnā€™t.

Since their inception in 1962 the Houston Astros lead MLB in the number of no-hitters pitched

Astros - 16
LAD - 13
LAA/California - 12
Philly, SF, & CWS - 9
Oak, Cincy, Chic - 8

Long live the kings of pitching no noā€™s!!!

Nolan Ryan & Sandy Koufax tried to make the left coast competitive but really its not even close.

5 Likes

I got a text from HH saying NO HITTER. I had not checked the score yet.

5 Likes

Your loss. More tickets for me.

I just finished watching it.

So sweet to be an Astros fan today

Thank you Jim Crane and Dana Brown

And thank you Framber Valdez. You are the man.

2 Likes

Framber says, fuck you JV. I do it myself.

4 Likes

As of 2007 there were 5 no hitters with 27 batters faced.

Buehrle, Mulholland, Koufax, Spahn, and Burdette.

Bob Knepper 1 hit the Braves in 1988. Dale Murphy singled in the 4th and was caught stealing. Albert Hall walked in the 9th and was also gunned down by Ashby.

Forsch did it too but with StL.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/blog/archives/216.html

Thatā€™s 5 Astros no-hitters in 5 years. No other team in history has a 5 year stretch with 5 no-hitters.

7 Likes

And thatā€™s just since 1958. There were more before that, including the aforementioned Ruth/Shore combined no-no in 1917, where Shore got all 27 outs facing just 26 hitters.

Iā€™m personally waiting for when a pitcher throws a perfect game and loses. 1-0. Itā€™s bound to happen.

Booth camera of the last pitch of last nightā€™s game: https://twitter.com/i/status/1686738339351666688

4 Likes

I donā€™t twitter, but the last pitch of the game was a hanging curve that was luckily thrown to a guy hitting .135. Sometimes, the BBGs smile on you.

5 Likes

I donā€™t know that Iā€™d call it a hanger as much as Iā€™d call it terribly placed. It broke hard in on his hands which is why he was so sawed off, but it was WAY too far up in the zone.

That last inning was a tough (and exciting) watch. Framber was clearly tiring or struggling with the downward command that had been the highlight of the first 8 innings. Dusty NOT getting Pressley up and warming up was a genius and risky move that communicated to Valdez probably exactly what he needed to ā€œhearā€.

2 Likes

I thought he got away with a middle middle fastball to the 2nd batter that turned into a routine flyout

Myles Straw.

Give him a flyball pitch.

1 Like

Yes, that one scared me.

1 Like

From MLB com: Facts and figures about Framber Valdez's no-hitter

ā€¢ Another thing about those 16 by Houston? Thatā€™s the most no-hitters thrown by any club since the Astrosā€™ first season in 1962. The next most by any club in that span is 13, by the Dodgers.

4 Likes