Guacamole

My exgf’s mom used to swear by a splash of Worcestershire in her guac and I’ve been doing it since.

Diced or chopped red onion is a perfect addition.

2 Likes

H‑E‑B spicy guacamole is good, imo.

1 Like

Avocado, garlic, lime or lemon*, salt, & pepper… mixed/smashed with fork until the proper consistency. Everything else is accoutrements. If I’m making guac, I’m usually making pico de gallo as an additional side (diced roma tomato, red or white onion, jalapeno or serrano, cilantro, lime juice, drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper). I’ll just mix a couple spoonfuls of the pico into the guac and call it doneski.

'* fresh lemon juice (instead of lime) may sound a little weird, but it works exceedingly well. I worked at one of the family-owned Ninfa’s in college (using original recipes). They used lemon in their guac, and swore by it. It’s worth a try sometime.

Diced red onion is a requirement.

3 Likes

I’m not above a pinch of straight MSG in mine. Or in all sorts of dishes.

My heart just started palpitating just reading that.

Man, that was a shit ton of reading just to get to “we think it might be bad for you, but aren’t 100 percent sure.”

2 Likes

I learned about Chinese Restaurant Syndrome. That’s a new one to me.

2 Likes

In the words of King George III, “I wasn’t aware that was something a person could do.”

3 Likes

We keep a shaker of MSG right next to cooking salt and pepper next to our stove. It makes everything better, but according to the NIH probably not your health.

2 Likes

My thinking is I’ve never noticed any acute effects from eating foods containing MSG (soy sauce, Doritos, Chick-fil-A sandwiches, all sorts of restaurant dishes), so the bit I’m adding to some of my own dishes probably won’t make a difference. I’m much more focused on the effects of the regular salt I consume than the MSG.

1 Like

Extra MSG.

Cibo Matto likes it on a birthday cake. Extra sugar, extra salt, extra oil and MSG.

Much of HEBs store made stuff is excellent. Their guacamole is good, their salsa is good, their tortillas are good, their chips are good. Hell, they even make me a fresh cheese ball now and again which is way better than any pre-made one I’ve ever had.

2 Likes

Ever try Kewpie Mayo from Japan? I can’t go back to anything else now.

2 Likes

Sometimes I pity the rest of the country for not having HEB.

It’s delicious, but I’m a Duke’s guy.

1 Like

I was too…before Kewpie.

2 Likes

One of my favorite things ever is a Korean chicken rice dish with soy sauce and mayo. It’s disturbingly good.

Me too.