Guacamole

How do you make it? Avocados of course, I prefer serrano peppers over jalapenos, Roma tomatoes, cilantro, onion, garlic. Lime and/or a squirt of Topo Chico optional.

Also do you dice your avocado or mash it?

Finely diced red onion, minced serrano, chopped cilantro, avocados, and lime juice. Amounts depend on how much avocado I’ve got.

I dice it to start with, and then I mash it together with a fork until it’s like I like it.

My Mexican girlfriend gives me grief if I use white onions. She says red onions are the way.

No garlic?

Also salt and coarse ground black pepper,

Not for me. But I won’t judge those that use it.

I eat a lot of garlic. And celantro.

1 Like

But I have to tell you, one of the all-time great salsas is raw tomatillos, white onion, serrano, garlic, cilantro, and lime juice. Whack the garlic and serrano in the food processor, mince the onion and throw it in, quarter the tomatillos and throw them in, throw in the cilantro, then pulse it until it’s chunky but not smooth, and then stir in lime juice. I use it on top of enfrijoladas (tortillas stuffed with cheese and baked with a bean sauce), and it’s great.

1 Like

I make something similar but with hot Hatch Chili peppers instead of serranoes.

@austro and @Col.SphinxDrummond I would love to try these but need recipe amounts. For the salsa and the guac. If it’s not too much to ask.

Unfortunately, it’s kind of by feel. For the tomatillo salsa, I use about 1 lb of tomatillos, one medium onion, one serrano, two or three garlic cloves, maybe half a bunch of cilantro, and one lime. Try that and then adjust to your tastes. And Sphinx is right: some salt is good. I use kosher salt, but sea salt is good, too.

1 Like

Mrs MM has that generic thing where cilantro tastes like soap, so no cilantro in ours. But the avocado should be mashed.

I’m going to chat with the guys at the winery what their guac recipe is, if you cretins can tolerate that sort of insolence.

Kara has been known to make a delightful guacamole from time to time. But she’s also home in Erie visiting her parents, so that will also have to wait.

1 Like

Glad I know you…online.

Rick Bayless is your man.

Some of these sound a little too funky for me (apple-fennel guacamole?), but I bet they’re still quite good.

https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe-category/guacamole/

I am so, so glad I’m not afflicted with that syndrome, being that SE Asian and Mexican makes up a sizable portion of my favorite foods list.

1 Like

Growing up, I didn’t like celantro. Sometime in my 30s that all changed. I’m pretty sure it coincided with my move back to Texas in '94.

I keep it simple: two avocados (fork-smashed), two cloves garlic, two jalapeños (one of them seeded and stemmed), big pinch salt, lime juice.

But am considering experimenting with onions after a recent family reunion in Blanco led to a surprisingly good encounter with a batch of spicy HEB guac.

1 Like