General Wine Thread

Outstanding post, but I’d differ with you on this one.

Admittedly, our visits to Fredericksburg were primarily limited to the Museum and maybe lunch a fantastic diner down the street that served the best peach ice cream.

2 Likes

It was one of the handblown crystal ones. I have some of their more robust glasses, that I’ve actually knocked over and they didn’t break. But this one was fragile. I normally avoid glass of any kind on the patio or near the pool, just as a rule, but I figured what the hell. My own fault. I’ll definitely check out your recommendations.

On a side note, Mrs Hawk and I will be in Fredericksburg at the end of the month for our anniversary. We spent our first anniversary there 20 years ago, and the wine scene wasn’t nearly as developed as it is now. We’re looking forward to it.

3 Likes

Congratulations on the anniversary!! Hope y’all have a wonderful time in Fredericksburg.

The Spiegelau glasses are really, btw. Machine made, but they have the weight of hand blown crystal and aren’t terribly expensive to replace.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, where are yall staying?

Some VRBO place on Main St, right next to the museum.

ETA: we have a wine tour scheduled and anniversary dinner at Cabernet Grill.

2 Likes

If you have lunchtime available, go try a couple of Korean ribs and a side at Eaker bbq there, iirc, on the north side of town on main street. Texan husband & Korean wife setup.

It didn’t do all that well as leftovers the first time, but the next couple of times eating in store I thought it was very good, different, but very good to great.

I’m still kicking myself that I broke one of those Mark Thomas glasses you set me up with and that I enjoy using so very much.
Apparently mindlessly fumbling for one’s glass and sending it to the sautillo tile floor isn’t a good idea.
Sumbitch.

Dr. McPherson from Tech started the Llano Estacado winery and most of the Texas wine industry back in the '80s.

1 Like

Dr. McPherson’s son makes some pretty serious wines at his eponymous winery in Lubbock (the Chenin in particular). I know the granddaughter who’s a somm out here. Really nice young woman.

And for all the grief I give Lubbock Community College, they’ve done a hell of a lot for the Texas wine industry, which wouldn’t be anywhere close to what it is today without those contributions.

2 Likes

I’ve repeated that experiment on hard wood floors with with strikingly similar results.

1 Like

Years ago in orvis’s dog catalogue there was a coffee table built specifically to protect wine glasses from tail wags.

1 Like

“Orvis” and “Abercrombe and Fitch” used to be proper outdoor stores.

Orvis makes fine fly fishing gear. Great rods, great reels. I don’t know about their shooting gear. It also sells a lot of clothes, but all the fishing companies do.

That said, I’ve heard its most profitable merchandise is its dog beds.

1 Like

The Orvis store is set up like life itself.

There’s a lot of expensive stuff you have to wander thru before you get to the part about fishing.

1 Like

Bingo.

It’s a lot like Bass Pro Shop, but for flycasters

That is top shelf philosophy. Top shelf.

1 Like

Which is also a lot of expensive stuff.

Lance and Boo Eaker ran a barbecue truck out of the Westbury Baptist Church parking lot though the beginning of the pandemic before moving out to Fredericksburg. My parents live right around the corner and have become loyal customers. Fredericksburg was long overdue a good barbecue joint.

1 Like

Nice!

Everything I’ve had at the store has been pretty fantastic.