General TV Thread

I’m sorry, I thought you said PBS.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I think you can still play them on PS5. If not then you can go for Fallout 4

1 Like

Am I right in guessing that the main characters in the show are from different iterations of the game?

Completely new characters. There are a lot of actual NPCs represented throughout the show like the chicken fucker.

1 Like

So that answers my next stupid question: Lucy McLean is named after John’s daughter from Die Hard.

And you’ll notice weird behavior from the “NPCs” in the show like after finishing a conversation they’ll turn strangely and run off for no real reason. That’s directly from the game.

1 Like

Shogun E9 is intense.

1 Like

Really enjoyed Manhunt on Apple+

I case you were interested, SNL continues to squander the weekly all-you-can-eat buffet of lampoonable news. The only thing of note this week was dual role host and musical guest Dua Lipa.

Few artists have tried to pull this off, and she did it with aplomb. Poised and self-effacing during the monologue, she was natural and versatile in the sketches. She banged out two solid music numbers too.

Meanwhile, Welcome to Wrexham opens with a classic line from Reynolds. Describing their major beat down by Chelsea on the US tour, he said “they gave us 90 minutes of shut the fuck up.”

1 Like

I finally gave in and signed up for a Dropout TV subscription this week.

I’m working my way through Game Changer first, and it’s definitely worth the 6 dollars a month by itself, even without checking out the rest of the available shows.

I have been watching “Sugar” on Apple+. Colin Ferrall is an old school private detective in LA. He has been hired to find the granddaughter of a high powered Hollywood producer. But of course it is more complicated than it seems. He is a film noir movie buff and keeps having flashbacks to black and white movie clips. The plot twist in episode 6 is a biggie!

2 Likes

That’s been on my radar. Glad to see it’s worth a watch.

Yup.

3 Likes

I’m working thru 1883.

Full thoughts later, but if remotely accurate given the calamities they’ve faced and the body count they’ve accrued before even leaving Texas the US West would still be devoid of Anglos today.

Still it’s well shot and there are some scratch-the-itch archetypes that appeal to the western fan in me.

1 Like

For fans of Bart’s calls to Moe’s Tavern:

1 Like

Stoked / nervous.

2 Likes

I finished up 1883.

Some thoughts:

They had all the makings for a remarkable show but fell short.

The good:
It was beautifully shot.
The cast and their performances were really good. Sam Elliot of course was a natural as the trail boss, and Tim McGraw/Faith Hill were excellent as well.
They stayed pretty true to the geography they were purporting to show: the scenes in Texas were largely filmed in Texas. The Trinity River looked like the Trinity. The prairie scenes in Colorado were in an actual prairie.
And the mountains in September looked right.

The not so good:
The main character, Elsa, provides voiceovers at the start and finish of each episodes. And her version of a southern (Tennessee) accent was difficult to stomach. During her actual dialog it was better. Elsa’s aunt likewise had an unbearable accent.

Ever heard of a calamity associated with the westward expansion? You’ll see it. Many occur before they get out of earshot of Fort Worth.

The big problems:
Shea (Sam Elliot) is the trail boss but he’s a terrible leader. Terrible. Awful. Speeches to instill fear, anger/threats of violence against the immigrants when things go poorly, no planning/inspecting of their belongings (he’s shocked to find them hauling a piano when they arrive at the Brazos). Ultimately it’s bad writing because they weren’t trying to tell the story of a bad trail boss.

The biggest problem however is Elsa’s arc. She’s an untamed spirit who finds this to be a journey of self-discovery but Jesus H Christ she goes from her first kiss to taking a lover to being essentially a widow to marrying a Comanche all in the span of a few weeks. All the while she’s (of course) the fastest rider in the outfit and an adept cowhand. Essentially it devolved into a Dances with Wolves wagon train. I liked the actress and the story had potential but they jumped the prairie sharks too many times.

Still … the ending was poignant and a nice explanation for why the Duttons ended up where they did. And again, beautifully shot.

With 10 episodes and such a large cast there are other story lines too. Ultimately I found 1923 to be better though some similar themes apply. And my main complaint against 1883 is that it could have been GREAT. But I get the feeling that Taylor Sheridan wants to scratch certain itches for the audience, and archetypes/tropes serve that purpose for him.

I may be overly sensitive because of growing up in Alabama and living in Tennessee for several years but I find the accents that are often done are almost as bad as Brian Kelly’s LSU introduction. And an 1883 southern accent isn’t a modern southern accent. It would have had more influences of home countries (England/Ireland/Scotland)

1 Like

Absolutely.

Even as a child the accents I heard from Hollywood were nothing like those I heard in southeast Texas and the Mississippi coast.

Funnily enough, Fred Armisen does the most accurate accents and even breaks them down to sub-regions.

1 Like