General Movie Thread

No. I could do that, but I am worried about the legalities around streaming content to third parties.

The legalities of the despecialized editions is already a little fuzzy. As recommended by those in the know, I purchased a 4K copy of the trilogy (I have lost count as to how many versions I have bought over the years). There might be a defensive argument to be made there, but rebroadcasting them…

3 Likes

I really enjoyed Unfrosted on Netflix.

It had the right amount of seriousness for a movie about pop tarts: none at all.

Many, many actors/comedians in it.

Have you seen this?
(1957 Monterrey, Mexico team won 13 straight Little League WS games.)

The Perfect Game” (2009)

Just found out that a couple of my old school mates produced the Oscar-winning film “The Zone of Interest”, which looks creepy as fuck given that it’s about the commandant of Auschwitz and was filmed on location there.

It’s pulled in $50 million worldwide, but I’m not rethinking my life choices or anything.

2 Likes

…and now Edgar Wright is rumored to be on board as director.

1 Like

Hearing nothing but great things about “The Fall Guy”. I mean, everyone is saying it’s just a perfect action/comedy.

I know we’re not supposed to post memes on here, but hear me out…

435949865_953798212952749_7433804103010003267_n

3 Likes

And now that scene is even more disturbing.

2 Likes

For those with Apple Music, find and play the John Williams Star Wars theme, and turn on the lyrics.

You’re welcome.

1 Like

Hehehe. I chuckled.

1 Like

Yub Nub?

How does The Onion keep doing this?

2 Likes

Saw “Hit Man” (the new Linklater flick) today. It’s in theaters for a little bit before releasing on Netflix in a couple weeks. It’s really, really fun.

3 Likes

Definitely going to try to catch “Hit Man” in the theater. Was hoping the river oaks theater would reopen in time to watch it there.

Saw “Furiosa.” WITNESS!!!

Saw “reality bites” for the first time this weekend. I was living in a duplex in montrose managing a bookstore after moving back from mexico city when the movie came out in 1994–so maybe i could relate to it. I did not like the movie at all, even though i like everyone in it. The movie had a thin veneer of houston with a shallow LA soul.

2 Likes

Blurbs I’ve seen are very favorable. Looking forward to it.

1 Like

One of my sons prefers it to fury road. Another thinks they are the same level. I can’t decide but am likely to see it again in the theater, which i rarely do. Just amazed by the overall quality of the 5th film in a scfi franchise. Pound for pound i think the mad max series beats all the other series for quality in the scifi genre (alien, star wars, star trek, apes).

1 Like

I liked Furiosa a lot. It wasn’t the same transcendent experience for me that Fury Road was, but it’s still very good. All I can say against it isn’t it isn’t Fury Road.

I was a little disappointed with The Fall Guy. It was fine, I think my expectations were just a bit high. It was fun though.

2 Likes

This is a shocking comment to me. I stopped watching it after Thunderdome. It was just so unrelatable and campy to me. A thin storyline gussied up that made it worse, not better.

1 Like

My copy of Fury Road 4K arrives tomorrow.

People are lamenting the poor performance of movies like Furiosa and The Fall Guy at the box office, without considering the most terrible experience of going to the movies these days.

It’s barely tolerable if you go to an upmarket movie grill, and you’re not getting out of there for less than $80/person. Regular theaters are grim and you’re still looking at $30/person when they charge $10 for a soda.

Meanwhile, these movies will be available in a couple of weeks to watch streaming in 4K (albeit compressed 4K) for $20 for an entire family, and on physical media a few months later for $25-$30 to have an keep in uncompressed 4K. At the same time, they will appear on multiple apps included in people’s existing subscriptions.

Given that I can rarely go the length of a movie without needing to pee these days, I’m not sure I’ll ever go to the cinema again.

3 Likes

I certainly wouldn’t put the Mad Max series on the same level as some of those, but I do think Fury Road is a cinematic achievement on par with the best of them—and to be honest, it might be one of the best movies ever made.

1 Like