General Movie Thread

Unknown

the Comanche were one of the greatest light cavalries that ever existed. Don’t confuse their raiding range with the Comancheria.

1 Like

To this day I tell folks I know a guy who didn’t see a tree til he was 21.

Forests still bug the hell out of me.

2 Likes

Would you believe me if I said there was actually a tree in the town of Notrees? I’ve seen it.

1 Like

Hasn’t there always been trees on the breaks in the Panhandle, Palo Duro Canyon for example?

1 Like

One of the strangest places I’ve ever been was the Cimarron National Grassland in the southwest corner of Kansas, where the Santa Fe Trail stopped for water on the way from St. Louis to Santa Fe. There were some trees around the spring, but it felt like that for a million miles in any direction there was nothing else but grass. We have a lot of magnificent places, and I’ve been to a lot of them, but I swear that’s one of the first places I think of when I think of great American places.

Careful, or you’ll get an explanation on the difference between a tree and a shrub.

The diversity of landscape across North America really is amazing.

1 Like

There are trees in the plains, though a lot of the current growth–especially mesquites–are because of overgrazing in the grasslands. At any spring or river though there are trees, and probably always have been. There aren’t forests though, and that’s what really drove me nuts about Prey, and I had to turn it off.

American Serengeti by Dan Flores is a good, quick read about the natural history of the animals of the Great Plains.

1 Like

That’s ballsy. It really went out on a limb.

If you don’t know the story of Notrees…like a lot of small communities in the Permian, it started as an oil field camp in the 1940s. A few local businesses sprung up, including a general store run by a man named Charlie Brown. As the area grew, Brown applied to be a post office and had to come up with a name. He chose “Notrees” as the story was an oil company cut down the only tree in the area to build a gas plant. There ain’t much left of the “town”, but there are still a few local residents and businesses. And a few trees, though they were likely planted by the residents and not natural.

You should have seen how upset the Yautja audience was with the totally inaccurate (and sad) armor worn by our brave hunter. His helmet piece was actually not seen in wide circulation for another hundred years!

1 Like

1 Like

I watched Bob Marley: One Love. The music is great the movie is meh. They didn’t have much backstory at all, just a few short flashbacks. The movie mostly covers the time frame between Rastaman Vibrations, through the making of Exodus and subsequent tour. I wanted to know more about the early Wailers with Bunny and Peter.

30 years ago today, he wasn’t even supposed to be there.

Damn.

2 Likes

Let’s fucking go!

2 Likes

Ok, this is the one actor I can see pulling this off.

1 Like

He can play the straight man absurdity with the best of them. His cameo in Ted 2 was hysterical.