General Movie Thread

There’s a Lloyd post-credit scene, btw

I can’t find it either. It was part of a documentary about the making of Achtung Baby - which was fascinating itself. The Edge sat on a chair in the middle of a big, empty room (like a school gymnasium), performing the song he had written recently about the end of his marriage.

It was beautiful but, at the same time, it was an angry, raw, gaping wound.

ETA: The documentary in question is not “From the Sky Down”.

1 Like

It’s a sequel to Home Alone. Prove me wrong.

4 nights into February RomCom month, and I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of RomComs are really terrible movies. Kris was picking off a list of Rotten Tomatoes ratings last night, and we tried Baby Boom with Diane Keaton and Long Shot with Charlize Theron and Seth Rogen. Both were unwatchable. They are really, really awful movies.

We ended up watching Moonstruck, which for some reason neither of us had ever seen. It was brilliant, so there are good things too.

1 Like

Palm Springs was a good recent romcom that I thought was fantastic. Strong premise (“borrowed” from Groundhog Day) and well acted.

The Lost City had a similarly strong premise but was dumbed down heavily in production. That’s a shame because it could’ve been great. But I still thought it was fun.

1 Like

Concur, a fun movie. It says “nudity” in the warnings but before anyone gets their hopes up, it ain’t Sandra Bullock.

Respectfully, might I offer:

The 40-Year Old Virgin
The Princess Bride
Bull Durham (but you may be saving this for next month)
High Fidelity
Shakespeare in Love
The American President
Roxanne
Jerry Maguire
Music and Lyrics (mainly for the 80s nostalgia)

1 Like

Love & Friendship is a good little movie, I’d recommend that one too.

Does “That Thing You Do” qualify as a rom-com? The director’s cut definitely is because it concentrates more on the love granny knot involving the band and their respective girlfriends, but it’s recommended only for fans of the movie because it takes forrrrreevvvvverrrr to get going. Much more Guy and Tina backstory, as well Mr. White backstory.

It’s the most “Tom Hanks” that it’s possible for a movie to be, so that has to count for something. He wrote it, directed it, acted in it and wrote some of the songs.

My favorite romcom unless we’re keeping Bull Durham in that category.

Do we consider Romancing the Stone to fit the category? Because it’s awesome.

ETA: I don’t think Roxanne was very good (nor is most any Cyrano retelling) but the “20 something betters” scene is great.

1 Like

I would definitely class RTS as a rom-com; and second the recommendation.

The background chaos of the volunteer firemen is always hilarious.

What about Joe vs the Volcano? Or Anchorman? Do those count?

1 Like

I’d say Anchorman and 40 Year Old Virgin are comedies, with only an incidental romance

1 Like

“Achtung Baby” is without peer. Sadly, the camera stays on Bono in the recordings from the Zooropa tour (as it did to excess throughout U2’s run, of course) while all I wanted to see was Edge’s hands.

1 Like

The 40-Year Old Virgin, The Princess Bride (#14 in best movie), Bull Durham, High Fidelity, Shakespeare in Love, The American President, Roxanne, and Jerry Maguire are 5 stars.

1 Like

That Thing You Do is 4 stars.

1 Like

I’ve always been a sucker for Notting Hill.

2 Likes

The Big Lebowski. But, that’s just like my opinion, man.

2 Likes

Well, Dude, you’re in a position to either or disconfirm that hypothesis.