General Movie Thread

That’s the thing. I don’t know how coherent the DCEU actually is. I saw Batfleck in the trailer so assuming there’s some narrative thread to his movies. Obviously it ties in the Keaton universe on some level as well. I’ll watch this regardless, for nostalgia’s sake, so I guess it doesn’t really matter.

2 Likes

The trailer had “Man of Steel” era Zod, too, so I presume it’s going to have a Spider-Man: No Way Home thing going. Also, I believe the Flash’s backstory is a TV show, so that’s a lot of research commitment.

It will probably be a similar feeling to watching The Mandalorian S3 for those of us who haven’t watched the Clone Wars show. I’m sure there were a lot of moments that were fist-pumpingly good for the invested, but fell flat for the rest of us.

The Tetris movie is the video game movie we didn’t know we needed. Really well done and surprisingly fascinating with some fun performances.

2 Likes

Along those lines, have you seen the quasi-documentary about the Pez Guy? It’s great.

Nope but I’m in.

I hear it will really make you flip you lid.

3 Likes

I have no choice but to emphatically recommend the Dungeons & Dragons movie. Nothing about it should work, but somehow, almost everything about it does.

2 Likes

This is basically the same thing I’ve heard about Air. But I’ll probably still wait until they’re streaming.

I can’t imagine not waiting for a movie to be streaming anymore, and our setup would’ve been considered only mildly fancy 6 or 7 years ago. Our house is one of the movie going casualty households from the 'rona. We had gotten to the point where we only really went to movies with Star in the title but nowadays we would just waite.

1 Like

Cinemas didn’t help themselves by having grotty theaters and charging $20 for popcorn and coke, but people suck so shared experiences aren’t what they were.

Coupled with the home theater cost reductions, the pandemic and the rise of streaming, it’s hard to see how your run-of-the-mill movie theater survives.

1 Like

5 Likes

Just watched it, and your description is perfect.

1 Like

Maybe it works because Chris Pine is every bit as funny and charming as Chris Pratt thinks he is?

1 Like

That, plus it reminded me of the years I spent playing Gauntlet.

1 Like

Wizard needs food badly! Wizard is about to die!

1 Like

The C64 version of the game was shockingly good.

Alien was released 44 years ago today. Amazing how it still holds up today.

My sister took me to see that in the theater. I was 9. I still haven’t forgiven her.

2 Likes

I was 11 years old and saw it at the Uptown on Wisconsin Avenue in DC. It had a massive curved periphery-to-periphery screen that was perfect for the movie since the alien often lurked in the shadows off to the side. I didn’t sleep for a month.

1 Like

I was 14. I had about a 40 minute walk home from the theatre, and it was dark and misty. Not sure I’ve ever been so terrified as on that walk home. The street lights were making the mist even more spooky that it would be normally, and there were strange shadows being cast everywhere.

You know those dreams you have when you’re stuck in a situation that you can’t get out of? Not nightmares as such, but frustrating. Mine typically involve an alien.