General Movie Thread

There are tons of stories to tell with Batman and I am fine with seeing a new one every few years.

1 Like

It’s just exhausting. I don’t think I saw any Marvel movies in 2022. I did enjoy The Batman, but its worst moment by far was its sequel tease.

I’m fine with superhero movies, they’re not going anywhere, but I do wish more of them tried to be good movies in their own right (as opposed to elaborate setups for more and more movies). The Marvel folks certainly don’t seem interested in doing that. It’s quantity over quality.

1 Like

Case in point: “Wakanda Forever” was a good movie. But if it had cut out all the expanded universe crap, it would have been phenomenal.

1 Like

New stories are welcomed and recasting is inevitable (see Bond, James Bond), but Batman is getting a bit ridiculous the way Spiderman got ridiculous, and collapsed as a franchise as a result before getting resurrected in the Avengers thread.

After Endgame, I have waited for subsequent MCU movies to hit Disney+ rather than make a pilgrimage to the theater to see them upon theatrical release. Spider-Man: No Way Home was excellent (I’m still bummed that they didn’t close it with the sad piano end theme from the Bill Bixby “Hulk” TV show) but Black Widow and Thor: Love and Thunder were disappointing while Eternals was dog shit.

But I just can’t get engaged with where they are going with whatever phase we’re in now, which could be because I’m not sure there is an end goal in mind which takes away the imperative to see the installments as they come out.

I think Quantumania will change this.

It has a lot of heavy lifting to do.

Ants are very strong.

2 Likes

Sometimes too much is better than not enough, sometimes it is just too much.

I haven’t seen a Marvel movie since the 2002 Spider-Man movie with Toby Maguire. From the outside looking in, it looks like a lot.

says the fan of a franchise that has almost 900 episodes spanning 11 TV series and 13 movies.

2 Likes

At least Star Trek (and I assume you mean Star Trek) had some nuance and varied situations and worlds. There was growth, which I don’t think these movies show, although I’m sure they’re not really intended to, which is fine but I think it causes a lot of people to just check out.

2 Likes

Every MCU movie seemingly has to end with a big CGI fight; even DeadPools 1 & 2 which lampooned themselves for doing it. It’s as if they work hard on character and plot development for 3/4trs of a movie, and then bring in Michael Bay to finish the thing.

1 Like

Holy shit!

5 Likes

No kidding!
Also, Dave looks just like Ian Curtis.

1 Like

Wonder Woman is on one of the big screens in the bar, and I have to reiterate that Gal Gadot is so ridiculously good looking that it almost seems like CGI.

Mark Hamill has been having fun with the balloon on social media.

3 Likes

You: “Cocaine Bear is the weirdest concept for a movie I’ve heard.”

Them: “Not. Even. Close.”

2 Likes

They had a piece on the news last night about some lost/abandoned cocaine shipment found out in the ocean. My first thought was Cocaine Sharknado.

4 Likes

What did I just see?