Ex Astros News 2024

I was really hoping the Astros would find a way to bring him back. But super happy Yuli gets to play meaningful MLB games again.

Him hanging his head after his injury running home in the playoffs still haunts me.

1 Like

Yuli at DH and hitting 7th for KC today

Look at this crappy opinion piece (regarding a Cole return to the Astros). My, how far Sports Illustrated has fallen. Sad.

1 Like

SI sourced from Bleacher Report…gotta love internet sports journalism

1 Like

It is sad. SI has become a sports aggregator with very little original content.

3 Likes

SI, Time, Newsweek are all just nameplates that have been sold.

They’re are relevant to journalism now as the Houston Post.

3 Likes

That may be the stupidest, pull-something-out-of-the-ass piece of non-journalism I have read in a long time.

2 Likes

Tom Verducci still writes the occasional column for si.com, but not very often. His last was mid-August.

SI? More like AI.

4 Likes

There’s nothing intelligent about it.

This is a joke that will remain relevant for maybe the next 12 months or so. It’s amazing how quickly the underlying large language models that are the foundation for generative AI co-pilot writers are evolving. I am already seeing highly technical writing (like writing a legal brief) equaling law degree / bar + 1-2 years experience in quality. And creative writing is not far behind.

2 Likes

But they’re regurgitating/consolidating information and opinions that are already out there, not forming new and unique ideas. And the more success that those tools have, and as they consume each others’ output, the more uniform everything will become. It’s very frightening to me.

4 Likes

100%. They are being trained on existing data. You get very predictable and bland regurgitated content accordingly. The best of them are starting to self learn now though. For example, there are a number of fourth generation generative AI tools that are doing complex mathematical calculations, even though not a single line of mathematical equation code of any sort was ever coded into them. They understood that to get better at their primary task, they needed to learn complex mathematics and went out and did so. This is a shocking and largely unexplainable behavior that is confounding academic research entities the world over.

Edited to add: probably belongs in the Science & Engineering thread.

Janson Junk — waived and claimed by Oak to make room for Heyward — has just been DFA again.