Ex Astros News 2024

I think they were. Before they signed Hader they were right up against the tax line, and Neris would’ve put them over the top (even at this price). Makes sense to me that Crane would be willing to exceed the cap for Hader but not for Neris.

1 Like

I’m sure FTC will be dangling him at the deadline.

2 Likes

Yeah, it seems like there might be something behind the scenes that we don’t know about. Or maybe it really is all about the tax threshold.

You are probably correct, but here’s the deal. I hope the team does what it can to pick up what it can via FAgency in an effort to possibly limit both the quality and quantity of prospects at the deadline this year. We need to keep what we have if at all possible.

If it was just the tax threshold, color me unimpressed with the whole decision making process.

Neris makes this bullpen SO much better.

Oh well, at least it’s not the Yankees as many pundits were suggesting.

The Montero debacle is having continuing effects.

1 Like

This says 1 year, $9 million – but with a team option for a second year at $9 million more. And if Neris makes 60 appearances (seems likely), it becomes a player option.

Add in incentives, and it’s a two-year deal for $23.25 million – pretty close to the numbers that were floated earlier.

Missed this the other day but Tyler Heineman was DFA’d by the Mets on 1/30.

Hader is a great arm out of the bullpen but Neris really had a great season last year. To me, one replaces the other and we aren’t that much better innings 7-8-9 than we were last year. Although the bullpen is still solid on paper, losing Neris, Maton and Stanek will hurt.

I’m hoping Coleman will end up making a jump under Astros coaching. I have read he has the stuff to be dominant. Bennett Souza also flashed towards end of last season.

1 Like

I think Forrest is more likely.

1 Like

Not sure why you think Forrest is more likely given his injury history but obviously I hope you are right…and I hope the young man deals in '24!

Braves signed Ken Giles to a minor league deal

Heineman claimed by the Red Sox.

Matt Gage barely unpacked and is now en route to the Dodgers.

I like Gage.

1 Like

Me too. I was sorry to see him DFA (though glad about Hader, obviously).

He never struck me as particularly bright. Perhaps I misjudged him.

1 Like

So crazy it just might work.