Ex-Astros News 2021

Great news. Hopefully this gives his bat new life.

1 Like

Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but Jones can and has also played 3B, no?

No MLB appearances at 3b. Not sure about minors.

28 games (24 starts) for Jones at 3b in the minors ā€“ all at AAA in 2019/21.

In either case, he couldnā€™t cover SS

Hardly a tragedy, and you do not seem to understand playoff baseball. You do not ā€œwork toward the futureā€ in the playoffs. You must win now.

Do you really think Click signed Marwin for nostalgia? Really? Click was not here when Marwin was here, and I doubt a 2017 Reunion is why he signed him.

Marwin is utility insurance for if Bregman cannot go, and Diaz has to play third. Marwin plays all the defensive positions Jones does, but better (especially LF). Marwin is a switch hitter, and who hits better is not all that relevant, is it, if everyone is healthy? The playoff roster must be the best players now, not ones with future potential, and if Marwin is better than Jones for the last spot, he should get it.

3 Likes

Yes.

Yep, Jones can play a decent 3B, but not SS.

1 Like

Wow I said basically the same thing a week ago and you called for my head. Iā€™m glad to see that we do actually agree on something. Letā€™s hope Marwin has a little left in the tank for one more run.

With Correa in the Bronx next year, Bregman at short and DĆ­az at third the Astros will need a good utility man next year. No reason it shouldnā€™t be Marwin. He is only 32. He should be able to get his hitting stroke back.
Canā€™t think of anyone available that is better than Marwin to fill the insurance role this year.
Long live The King.

1 Like

Obviously weā€™re signing Josh Reddick to a minor league deal next.

3 Likes

Even if you consider his 2017 season as a fluke, heā€™s way under his career norms. His average is just north of the Mendoza line, his power is gone, heā€™s striking out more than he ever has in his career (>25% of PA), his hard-hit % is career worst, and heā€™s putting the ball on the ground more than he has since 2014. He could turn it around, but thereā€™s certainly no reason that he should.

As has been pointed out, this is a minor league deal. If he plays a couple games in the bigs as a defensive replacement before being released, itā€™s money well spent. If not, itā€™s still money weā€™ll spent. Letā€™s not get too lofty with our expectations.

1 Like

I think it is a mistake to focus on his current offense. This is a move for defense, imo. Any offense he gives will be gravy.

1 Like

2nd chance for Toro.

You donā€™t think Robel is a better defender?

I have no clue. I have not seen Marwin play in years.

I feel confident 2018 Marwin was better than 2021 Robel.

2 Likes

Easily.