Ex-Astros News 2020

That was also a funny aspect to that video.

Max Stassi underwent surgery to repair a torn labrum in him left hip, the Angels announce. Timetable for return is 4-6 months.

The Nov 2019 version of Tyler White is a new man.

(The link has to be clicked 2x to work.)

Not an ex-Astro (he’s a lifer), but an ex-player.

Good for Jeff. I think it was obvious for a while that he like to tip a few.

He’s been to rehab for it before. That came out in the Brown divorce hearings a while back.

His family staged several interventions. As he says, it’s a process.

A couple of ex-Astros had their options declined yesterday by their respective teams.

• Robinson Chirinos - The Mets exercised a $1M buyout on a $6.5M option for 2021.
    Chirinos had a solid 2019 with the Astros, putting up above-average offense (.238 AVG/ .347 OBP/ .443 SLG, good for a wRC+ of 113) while becoming the de facto personal catcher for JV. In 26 games for the Rangers and the Mets in 2020, his offense fell off a cliff (.162 AVG/ .232 OBP/ .243 SLG/ 26 wRC+).
  • Hector Rondon - The D-Backs exercised a $500k buyout on $4M option for 2021.
    Rondon pitched well for the Astros in 2018 (59 IP / 3.20 ERA / 2.79 FIP) and did alright in 2019 (60.2 IP / 3.71 ERA / 4.96 FIP). His 20 IP for the D-Backs this year did not go so well (7.65 ERA / 6.59 FIP).

It ain’t my money, but if Chirinos is willing to come back and split time with Maldonado again, I wouldn’t mind.

I liked Chirinos here. I thought he and Maldonado were the best catching tandem the Astros ever had. Machete earned his money, and most of Garneau’s and Stubbs’s, this past season. I hope he stays, regardless.

3 Likes

100% agree. Would love to see Chirinos back with the Astros. He was a very good catcher who brought a little power to the bottom of the lineup.

2 Likes

I’m hoping Click is looking for better additions than Rondon. I guess I’m hoping he has some of that Ray’s magic in him, you know identifying unnoticed talent and/or stealing talent from other unsuspecting GMs.

Agreed, HH, re best catching tandem.

Rondon is an enigma for me. Great arm, throws very hard, but his FB is straight.

BTW, Osuna is now an Ex-Astro.

Some folks will rejoice about Osuna, but I will not. No one knows what happened, I believe in redemption, and by all accounts, he was a good teammate in Houston.

3 Likes

This is 100% about saving money. He was unlikely to pitch at all next year and he would be a FA next offseason anyway. So really your 2 options would be to sign him to a long term deal and wait out the injury or let him go now and save 10 million.

Yep, I get it. He would have been non-tendered, I have read.

ETA: he did not have the recommended TJ surgery.

Really? He’s done.

He said he got a second opinion that said it wasn’t necessary. Not sure if it was Dr. James Andrews or Dr. Nick.

2 Likes

He took the rest/rehab option.