Euros 2020

Yep. Here’s a regular season Premier League game involving some random team, tied at 2-2 with seconds left before the referee blows the final whistle.

Now imagine this was during extra time in a Euro semi-final, and there’s no goalie…

Ah, ok, Gaelic football.

1 Like

This happened today in the Copa America. An Argentinian wiped out a Colombian who was breaking clear on goal.

Look at the time on the clock…

Congrats, Limey!

Penalty was a bit chickensh!t, but the kick was poor and the goalie needed to do pretty much anything but what he did (let the ball bounce right back to Kane). Wins is wins.

Now please beat Italy.

1 Like

No biggie.

That was a very soft penalty to end a semifinal on. Harder fouls happened during the entirety of the match, and they didn’t result in penalties.

The referee was appalling. Two “soft” fouls called consecutively resulted in Denmark’s shot for their goal.

The yellow card for Maguire will confuse me til the day I die.

Live by the whistle, die by the whistle.

No doubt that England was the better team and, after about 80 minutes, there was only one winner.

In a week that has seen the England national team defeat Germany in a knockout tournament game for the first time in over 2 generations, and advance to a tournament final for the first time in [checks notes] two generations (basically our year was 1966 and everything before or since ended badly), there’s been some other amazing stuff going on.

To wit, Crystal Palace FC announced their new head coach: Patrick Viera of the legendary Arsenal “Untouchables”. While many of my fellow fans are still suffering from post-traumatic de Boer syndrome, I have read/heard little about Viera to suggest that there is any comparison. He is humble, personable, engaging (all things de Boer most definitely was not), a leader, someone who develops young players very well, and has flexibility in his tactics while always pushing his teams to play football.

I am excited to see what Viera can do. With so many first team players out of contract (and last year’s wonderkid signing Eze out with a long-term injury) , he has somewhat of a blank slate and salary flexibility to build a squad to play they way he wants them to. What he doesn’t have, is much time to do it. So, when today, the club’s official Twitter feed teased putting a number “7” on a Palace shirt, I nearly lost my shit.

The talk of Michael Olise’s move to CPFC from Championship club Reading has been rife, but it’s never done until it’s done. Olise (pronounced “Oh-Lease-Eh”) was the Championship’s Young Player of the Season last year, succeeding the previous winner of that title [checks notes] Eberechi Eze. The young Frenchman is a midfielder with defensive strengths, creative skills and eye-popping goal assist/scoring stats. Basically, a young Patrick Viera.

We couldn’t, could we? Plunder the Championship for its best young player for a second season in a row? Then…

https://twitter.com/CPFC/status/1413136081696919553?s=20

Ladies and Gentlemen! Hold on to your shit! Here’s Crystal Palace FC’s new #7: Michael Olise.

Back at the Euros, despite a broad effort to boo players engaging in the anti-racism gesture of kneeling before kick-off, this did not happen at Wembley yesterday.

This did:

Maybe The Lasso Way is spreading…

HOW IS THAT OFFSIDE?!

No, really. I still don’t understand the rule.

1 Like

Yesterday’s ref was probably the worst I’ve seen in the tournament:

England vs. Italy is an enticing match-up. England has been miserly in defense and has shown moments of offensive brilliance without being convincingly prolific. Italy has been very un-Italian by eschewing structure and dogmatic defense for a cavalier, devil-may-care attack.

It will be an intriguing contest of footballing styles. Thankfully, it’s not a contest of culinary styles…

1 Like

BTW, if you actually watched the above monstrosity of a song (a UK No. 1, I believe), you may have wondered who is the shaven-headed bloke in the sky blue shirt, dancing around like an idiot (yes, he’s the one responsible for that ditty). He’s Keith Allen.

Former roadie for The Clash, failed punk rock artist, bit-part actor in British TV and film, and father to Lily and Alfie. Yep, that Lily Allen and that Alfie Allen who, in addition to being outed by his sister as a pot head, had a recurring part in Game of Thrones and was the car-stealing, puppy-murdering, fail-son who triggered John Wick.

So don’t judge Keith too harshly for that “Vindaloo” nonsense; he also co-wrote this:

Fining the football association 30,000 euros is somehow going to stop fans from doing this in the future? Who’s advising them? Manfred?

1 Like

They always do this, like when players are racially abused by fans. It’s purely performative.

Wembley has to be dripping with CCTV, so I hope they catch the twat responsible.

(Brazil Argentina)

YOU get a card and YOU get a card and YOU get a card…

1 Like

If that’s the best of South America, bring on the World Cup!

I would like to know if that ref is busy later today, though. He was the best performer on the field.

The last 10 minutes were farcical.