Euros 2020

Right. Surely a England wouldn’t lose to an outmatched foe.

(Checks date)

Good luck mate

2 Likes

It’s the hope that kills you!

Semis start today. Full-on ragers start tomorrow.

What time and channel is England vs Denmark?

Also, why do we say Denmark? The Danish call their country Danmark, why doesn’t everybody else? It’s not like Danmark is harder to say. This has bothered me for some time.

ESPN. I think it’s 2:00

As a very casual soccer fan, I find penalty kicks to be like the runner on 2nd in extras. Just play it out.

Excuse me, not penalty kicks, the shootout kicks.

Yeah, I cannot sleep at night for worrying about stuff like this.

1 Like

Same reason we say “Germany” and they say “Deutschland”.

1 Like

As one who played soccer and participated in shootouts. I love them.

The pressure on the shooter is greater IMO than that on the keeper. Just notice the reactions of teammates. Shooter scores. Golf clap and high fives - everyone expects them to make it. Keeper saves one - mass hysteria - no one expects them to really make a save. I was a keeper and my favorite memories were of blocking PKs. The one PK I took, I clanked off the bar.

1 Like

Seems like glorified Roshambo between the kicker and the goalie. Hard to watch something so significant to be decided on guesses.

It used to be that knockout matches went to potentially endless replays*, which is much more fair, but in a tournament format that’s impossible to schedule. They have tried different formats for extra time, but efforts to encourage winning the game in extra time always result in coaches being more defensive, negating the change.

They can’t play on forever for fear of injury. In the end, the teams essentially choose to go to penalties by declining to really go for it in extra time - or even late in regulation time. It’s a bizarre phenomenon, but futbol has always been tilted towards a mentality of “not losing and then see what happens”.

• Part of the backstory to the animosity between Crystal Palace and Brighton fans is an FA Cup knockout match in the 1976 that took three full-length matches to get a result.

Thanks. Have they ever tried reducing the number of players in extra time?

As Duman explained, it’s not quite that random, but it’s close. It’s scientifically impossible for a goalie to save a well-placed penalty kick. Essentially, if you hit it with power and such that it hits the side netting inside the goal - and the goalie starts in a central position - you’re going to score.

So, in essence, it’s a test of skill and fortitude that falls on the outfield players. Now, a goalie can make a spectacular save but, without taking anything away from the ‘keeper, in every case the penalty was struck or aimed poorly.

And then there’s this:

2 Likes

I know it was discussed, but I’m not aware of it ever being used. Of course, upon being forced to remove a player, both coaches will hook one of their forwards.

We know this because, whenever a team has a midfield or defensive player sent off, the coach immediately subs out a forward to bring on a replacement to keep the defensive structure intact.

Oops in Limey-talk.

1 Like

Doesn’t matter the sport; you’ve got to finish the play.

1 Like

Maybe having a ghost goalie?

Pull the goalie? In a knockout game, that’s a recipe for disaster.

The outfield players will do anything to save a goal that would eliminate them. You’d have takedowns and handballs galore, red cards flashing like Times Square and the game being decided by whichever team is first to hoist the ball into the opposing penalty area and get a penalty when their player is dragged down or has a shot punched off the line.

Oh, and both coaches would station half their team between the posts.

So…rugby then?