Electric Vehicles

Sure. But that’s the opposite of the Apple Watch being for influencers and fanboys only.

That’s what the fanboys want you to think.

Wow! Apple watch is the most popular watch on the planet and I don’t feel like I’m missing out by not having one. I am old.

1 Like

That’s because you don’t have a job and don’t care what time it is.

It monitors your heart rate and has fall detection…

1 Like

Does it have a curmudgeon meter?

He’s been influenced.

Some of us are more under the influencers.

2 Likes

The corporation game me a fairly nice commemorative Tissot watch when I retired, it keeps pretty good time and has a clock type face.

3 Likes

Tissot makes some nice watches. I have a Tissot pocket watch that was my wedding gift from my wife.

Do you pay your yard service by tossing them a bag of coins, declaring “this should suffice”?

2 Likes

Usually just one coin. That I keep in the other pocket of my waistcoat.

2 Likes

GM has announced it’s dropping CarPlay and Android Auto from all future models. Their argument is that it’s for safety reasons. Sure. Because removing the ability to use your phone hands-free while driving is really going to improve safety.

Tesla doesn’t support these interfaces either, but they provide navigation for free. However, they don’t include real-time traffic data - which is integral to navigation - and that costs you a $10/month subscription.

At least Tesla doesn’t provide a dashboard behind the wheel, allowing a convenient space to add an aftermarket CarPlay screen. GM is going to give you hobbled navigation and try to make you pay a subscription for something you have for free on your phone.

That might work for Tesla’s customer base; I think GM is going to get burned by this nonsense. Tesla aside, I suspect the Venn diagram of people buying EVs and people who want CarPlay is just a circle.

I have been seeing this in the news the last couple of days. Didn’t they already announce this a few months ago, or were those just rumors that they’ve spent the last few months doubling down on?

Might be old news. I just became aware of it.

Can see this only as a way to force people to subscribe to OnStar for map updates and traffic info.

Apparently it was indeed announced earlier this year, but GM has been making press releases about why they think it’s a good idea. Also, the first car to have their new CP/AA-less infotainment system is about to hit the market.

1 Like

It will be interesting to see what happens. It’s going to be a hard sell to get people to pay for shitty car-based infotainment when you already have a far better system in your pocket.

Meanwhile, CarPlay is going the other way by offering multi-screen support that can display car operating info like fuel/battery, speed, revs etc. Only Porsche and Aston Martin so far have announced models with this capability, but it is clearly the future and GM are bucking it at their peril.

Oops

The problems are with charging and…[drumroll]…the CP/AA-less infotainment system.

My takeaway is that the chevy blazer and the Ford mustang are now the same vehicle.

1 Like

In the same way that there are probably many different manufacturers of dumpsters, but who really ever notices.

5 Likes