Electric Vehicles

Raise revenues by requiring Tesla Verified Driver Profiles

1 Like

My first car was a '78 IH Scout 2.
That thing was a bonafide tank with tank like gas mileage, but fun to drive.
The top was removable as well- that was cool.

The Hotel San Jose here in Austin has a nicely restored Scout 2 that they own and usually keep in front of the property.

Mine was a ‘77 with an IH345 V8. Eight miles per gallon of genuine American steel!

I bought it for $2,800, drove the shit out of it and sold it for $1,000. Today I could probably get $15,000 for it. They go for stupid money in running condition. I miss it.

1 Like

Yep, mine had that same engine.
It was a maroonish/rust color and I think my folks bought it for me for $2500 in spring '89 when I got my license. My brother got it later and we ended up selling it for pennies somewhere around '93.
I saw a beautifully restored one a neighbor had at my old apt complex when I lived in SoCal.

You’re right, Matt, they fetch a mighty nice price now if they’re restored nicely.

3 Likes

Wow, that’s a sweet ride.

Had to go dig up the pic i took of the one in front of Hotel San Jose from awhile ago.
They sell t shirts with the Scout on the front.

Sweet ride.

2 Likes

My hope for EVs is that batteries will get good enough and electricity will get cheap enough that “body on frame” or 'body on skateboard" designs like Ree will come that can support almost any body / vehicle style.

The opportunity is for small to medium modern-day “carriage” builders to remake the dull sameness on the modern car market. If the electricity is cheap and green, who cares about drag coefficients?

1 Like

Drag impacts range and, right now, range anxiety is preventing an unknown number of people switching to EVs from ICEs.

Once we get over that collectively - because for most people it’s a once or twice a year issue - then we can revert to designing EVs for something other than being slippery.

Case in point: the Rivian delivery trucks built for Amazon have a range of about 150 miles. That was designed by Amazon because their “last mile” trucks don’t need any more than that, and they’re on the road almost all day.

1 Like