Electric Vehicles

EV tires.

I’m sure it’s just a coincidence that a user who tweeted something negative about Tesla as been vanished from the platform.

This is amusing:

How is Tesla doing?

Oh.

There have been riots in China as recent buyers have freaked out.

1 Like

Anyone who financed a Tesla in 2022 is currently underwater on their loan. Factor in the tax credit, the Model Y is $20,000 cheaper than the same car was the day before the price drop. That model is available for delivery in January, so Tesla has just crushed the used car market for their existing customers.

How does the ev tax credit work this year?

New car, btw

Up to $7,500 credit when you file your 2023 return in 2024. Income limits apply. If you’re single and make more than $150,000, or married making more than $300,000, you don’t get the credit.

What HH said, but there are exclusions based on country of origin: the vehicle has to be assembled in North America or in certain of our major trading partners (like Australia and the EU…I think). China is definitely excluded as is, I think, South Korea.

There is also an exclusion based on the country of origin of the battery, but that has been suspended until the end of March. After that, anything with Chinese batteries will be excluded, which is a long list.

Lastly, there are price caps which are $55,000 for a sedan and $80,000 for SUVs. There is an official list now, which is worth checking because what the IRS says is an SUV may differ to the manufacturer. For example, the IRS says a 5-seat Model Y is a sedan but a 7-seat is an SUV.

There is yet more small print, too. Here’s the IRS’ website:

This guy asks a good question: as Musk has cashed out $40 billion from Tesla just as the company itself shit away nearly $1 trillion in value, why is he not in jail?

Because the wealthy live in a different world than the rest of us, one they create and maintain for their benefit.

1 Like

Haven’t seen any reports of this coming to America.

Rarely do cars look good in yellow.

I have a strong (and possibly not entirely rational) antipathy for Jeep products. Part of it stems from rental experience with a Dodge Kaliber, which purportedly shared its chassis with the Jeep Liberty. (If that’s not the case, please don’t tell me; I’ve invested a lot of energy in this and don’t want to have to undo it.)

2 Likes

Whenever I see a Jeep Wrangler, my hand hurts. Let me explain…

A friend of mine owned a ridiculous, jacked-up Wrangler. Whenever he needed to go out of town, we would swap cars because mine had things like a suspension and windows. So I had to suffer driving this thing for a few days.

It came with a high-tech anti-theft device know as a Crook Lock (kids, look it up). I would put it on the steering wheel, pull it open to engage the hooks and then lock it. Simple eh? Yes, but I had to hold one end of the lock to make sure it stayed on the wheel as I locked it, and as I turned the key the mechanism would crank back jus t a little, trapping the skin between my thumb and index finger.

It fucking hurt.

1 Like

I had a Jeep Wrangler that I enjoyed very much. It was no match for my old International Scout, which could drag a Jeep around sideways, but it was a fun little ride.

2 Likes

Normal Wranglers may have been just fine. This thing was like a baby monster truck with massive wheels and the need for mountain climbing skills in order to get in it.

[my '47 Willys has entered the chat]

1 Like

This isn’t that kind of message board. Keep it on your pants.

3 Likes

That’s ‘47 Willys, not 47” willie.

And yeah, my binder would make that Willys look like a Hot Wheel.

Finding out continues.

Tesla plans to stave off competition from Ford etc. by slashing prices. Yeah, good luck with that.