Electric Vehicles

Agreed. My last two cars have been Acuras, and they have been excellent. Just enough pep to be fun, just enough toys to be luxury, and thoroughly reliable.

If they bring the same formula to EVs, they’ll clean up. Toyota has completely shit the bed in this regard.

3 Likes

My parking lot at work is littered with Integras, younger guys with money and neither stupid nor compromising.

Having hundreds of billions of dollars isn’t as glamorous as it sounds.

Did your customer move to the suburbs? My supplier did.

I still drive a 1999 Acura 3.2 TL that I bought new.

4 Likes

I had a TL for 8 years that was great. Replaced it with an MDX because I wanted more interior room, and I’m on my ninth year with that vehicle.

2 Likes

Nice. How many miles driven does it have?

I had an ‘05 Accord sedan, manual transmission, and goddamn I loved that car. Only reason I got rid of it was a horrible car accident a few years ago (frame was bent and the repair cost more than what it was worth in salvage).

My Subie Crosstrek is pretty effing reliable, albeit underpowered, and gets me in and out of most every vineyard. But, man, I really miss driving try Accord.

ETA: since this is the electric car thread, my next ride will the Ford 150 Lightning. I’ve heard some varying firsthand accounts about towing, but for what I need at Harvest it should be well suited to hauling 1-2 tons of fruit.

2 Likes

Only 153,000. For the last 15 + years, I’ve consulted from my house so I don’t put a lot of miles on it anymore. It used to know how to get to Vegas by itself.

1 Like

My 2002 GMC HD ranch truck has only 78K, it’ll pull the tongue off a trailer but you can watch the gas gauge go down as you’re hauling stuff.

It was funny over the holidays when my cousins parked their newish Dodge 3500s next to it…looked like an F150 vs a Ranger years ago.

1 Like

I’ve got a 2004 Tundra with 215,000 miles. I don’t drive but a couple of times a week anymore but I drove it a lot the first 10 years. It’s been the most maintenance free vehicle I’ve ever owned.

We have an eight year old Ram 3500 at the winery, in addition to two F-550’s (one five years old, the other three). They’re our work trucks, all of them flatbeds, and during Harvest all of them are in constant (daily) use. Amazing trucks. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve loaded six tons of fruit on one of the 550’s and hauled that up from Lodi, which is over 100 miles away from the winery.

But that’s also their intended use. Not sure what your cousins do, but I can’t imagine driving one of them around as an everyday vehicle, although several folks out here who do. The gas mileage is shit and I’d be bankrupt from having to fill one of things up every week.

1 Like

My cousins: https://chapmandocks.com/

I just use my GMC for local-ish gooseneck hauling of hay and livestock.

I have a strange fascination with retaining walls. That looks like quality work there.

3 Likes

They do underwater welding, which is the part that totally fascinates me.

1 Like

Nah they’re located in Seoul. In fact, Hyundai is building a giant new headquarters and consolidating a lot of their subsidiaries and spin off companies into one mega complex in Gangnam. The shit Hyundai does outside of cars is usually surprising to people who don’t live here. Want to shop at Costco? You can only use cash or a Hyundai credit card.

I was asking about Gangnam- my suppliers moved in two weeks ago. Truly sucks for the younger guys.

A lot of manufacturing and R&D is out near Suwon and Hwasong which are the suburbs but the offices are mostly in Gangnam or Yangjae. Hyundai has been testing self driving taxis in a small part of Gangnam but it’s a big district.

My guys were in a building across the street from the train station, almost inarguably the best location in all of Seoul.

Seoul Station? My apartment is pretty close to Seoul Station but most companies prefer being south of the river. It’s kind of a status thing for them to have their office in the nice areas of Gangnam. I definitely prefer living north of the river by far and only did one year in Gangnam before moving back across the river.