COVID-19

Those aren’t public health briefings, they’re campaign rallies.

2 Likes

Well, he’s making it pretty apparent that the emperor has no brains.

It looks like we have the perfect control group study about to happen now that Falwell Jr has opened Liberty University back up. Let’s see how hot of a hot spot Lynchburg, VA gets to be. Idiots.

The lag time is what makes all of this so challenging. It’s much longer than the attention span of most of the people making the calls, so the cause-and-effect relationships get lost. Next week Liberty U will look like it does today, and Trump will say “See? Everybody back in the water!” And a week after that, the shark will be feasting.

Everyone except Fox News stopped carrying Trump rallies, as they were just 60-90 minutes of him airing grievances and wanking over how great he is.

Denied his rallies (for now), he just turned these briefings into mini versions of them. Except that each one is devolving further into a full-on rally experience; fact-free and all about Trump.

Prince Charles has it.

READ THIS!

(It’s free - you can sign in with Google or Facebook credentials)

“How are you doing, love?” I call to my husband from the living-room floor, where I now sleep each night on a roll-up foam sleeping pad that my daughter has used on camping trips, topped with a couple of thin blankets. It’s quite literally hard to sleep on the floor, but after trying the couch and then, on the floor, the couch mattress — a bit of fabric stretched over some coiled rings — the floor itself has been a relief.

“I need some help,” he whispers hoarsely, shivering inside the wool undershirt and sweater he insists on wearing. “I didn’t want to wake you.” I forgot to put the Advil in the plastic dish in the bathroom that is now his. I can’t leave the bottle in there; it has to stay uncontaminated in the other bathroom, so that I can dispense the capsules into the dish and keep the bottle protected. Anything my husband touches has to stay in his room or be carefully taken from his room to the kitchen, where I stand holding dishes while our 16-year-old daughter opens the dishwasher and pulls out the racks so I don’t have to touch anything before she closes it again. She turns on the faucet for me, and I hit the soap dispenser with my elbow to wash my hands.

I live alone. I have contact with neighbors, but if I get it as bad as T in the story, I might not make it.

Stay home!

People think they have “the flu” when they have a heavy cold. People with actual flu have proven medications to help them through it. I don’t think any of us really realize how sick people can get with this and not be eligible for hospitalization. Like “T”, you just have to swallow Advil or Tylenol (which you might not be able to get) and grind it out.

You getting sick while living alone is scary. But living with family may be worse because of the risk of giving it to them, too. This poor lady is risking infection herself, is terrified for her daughter but cannot send her away because she may have it and infect someone else.

People with flu, on average, infect 1.5 other people. 10 rounds of infection later means that one person will result in 57 other infections. If it is born out that those with COVID-19 infect on average 3 other people, then 10 rounds of infection results in 59,000 other infections.

Don’t be the one, and don’t be one of the 59,000. Stay home!

Holy shit, that’s the scariest fucking thing I’ve ever read.

I saw an interview with a doctor who laid out those numbers. I didn’t believe it so I did the math myself. It checks out. Yikes!

Total confirmed U.S. coronavirus cases at end of each Tuesday:
• Jan. 14 — 0
• Jan. 21 — 1
• Jan. 28 — 5
• Feb. 4 — 11
• Feb. 11 — 14
• Feb. 18 — 25
• Feb. 25 — 59
• Mar. 3 — 125
• Mar. 10 — 1,004
• Mar. 17 — 5,902
• Mar. 24 — 53,478

I have friends who are young and healthy with all the symptoms. They are not being tested because they don’t meet the criteria of being at risk.

If we had adequate testing resources. The number of confirmed cases would be much higher.

2 Likes

If we had adequate testing resources, we would know exactly what we’re dealing with and be able to formulate a better plan than simply Stay Home Work Safe. The fact that the federal government did nothing over the last two months to ramp up testing capabilities (including the adequate PPE in order to conduct the tests) is defenseless.

3 Likes

To start schools again, they are going to have test everyone in the school with an accurate test (the Korean tests are quick but generally given several times because they produce false negatives) and a method of isolating the students that test positive immediately (i.e. stick them in a hotel somewhere). Pretty sure we are not close to do either of those things.

California numbers are suspiciously low considering it was one of the first places it showed up, but the surge in hospitalizations that NY is seeing hasn’t quite appeared yet.

The people in charge of the federal government obviously do not want an accurate count of the number of the infected. In fact, they are actively trying to prevent one.

1 Like

Sounds good, let’s get back to work.

I’m also laughing at the pro-life / freak out over death panel crowd now is all Sorry, Nana, gotta pull the plug, S&P and that…

The UK is about to mail out at-home testing kits to everyone. Everyone!

You can’t get an accurate account if your tests are bad. FDA wants to maintain control of the process to make sure it doesn’t get a whole lot of bad data (which all other things rely on) into the system.

Those tests require you to take the sample properly and most people won’t do that. People complain about “Security Theater” at airports, but this is the same thing.