COVID-19

Lina Hidalgo said they will make the announcement whether to do it this afternoon.

Fucking Trump is going to ignore medical advice and send people back to work next week. Dan Patrick, a Trump sycophant, says grandparents will be willing to die to save the economy for their grandkids. This “get back to work” mantra is murderous insanity. I hope each of you is in a position to ignore Trump and to keep yourself and those around you safe. A lot of people will die because this MF cares only about himself.

1 Like

If he wants show how strongly he believes this, he should be walking the front lines shaking hands with everybody he meets.

Stay home order issued for Harris County. Not calling it “shelter in place”, but that’s essentially what it is.

Also, Harris county has 500 tests available. They will run out today unless the federal government provides more. Trump says they are beautiful tests, though.

Patrick and his ilk probably won’t appreciate it, but I"m already doing something for my grandkids: I’m working to make sure that these shits get voted out of office and our slide into autocracy is arrested.

3 Likes

Apropos nothing, 6 of Trump’s top 7 revenue generating properties are currently closed due to the pandemic: Caron-a-Lago, Doral, Las Vegas, Bedminster, Turnberry (Scotland) and Doonberg (Ireland). The only one of the top 7 that’s still open is the DC hotel (#2 behind only Doral), but the restaurants are closed and I’m sure business is down generally.

Houston going on lockdown as of midnight tonight.

But how are people supposed to kill their grandparents if they’re on lockdown?

Austin and Travis/Williamson counties as well until at least April 11.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/joe_sheehan/status/1242427079045644288?s=20

2 Likes

Harris County is only through April 3. That should be extended.

It will be.

Meanwhile, teachers are showing up at the school across the street from us to empty out their classrooms. I haven’t seen any word on HISD, but many school district have announced closures through the end of the school year.

HISD is still through April 13 but I don’t think anybody views that as realistic.

1 Like

We had been with a “stay at home” order here in O.C., Ca. for about a week when we had our 78th case. Harris Co. had their 78th case yesterday. The two counties have similarly sized populations.

It’s better to be way too soon than one minute too late. That exponential function is a bitch.

It would help if we had any leaders who understood “exponential”

And the element that works in favor of the “get back to normal” argument is that positive cases can lag 1-2 weeks behind exposure/infection, and deaths up to 2 weeks behind that. We won’t see the statistical benefits (rate of cases/deaths decreasing) of shelter-in-place for as long as a month or more; similarly, we won’t see the statistical damage (rate of cases/deaths increasing) of going back to normal for that long either.

All we have to do is somehow convince Jared to activate Trump’s “Super MIT Uncle” genes. I think he’s in charge of that too.

Hey, Fauci’s back on the podium!

All we can hope for is that the States ignore the President.

1 Like

At those afternoon briefings he really needs to shut the fuck up and let Fauci give the briefing.