COVID-19

Raccoon dogs are really common in Asia. I’ve even seen them in some parks in downtown Seoul but it’s a bit dangerous equating all wet markets with the illegal and extremely cruel ones that make up a minority in places like China and Southeast Asia. Wet market is just a term for a market that sells produce, seafood and meat, sometimes still living but mostly they’re clean, face strict hygienic regulations, and can be economically important for the people in the regions.

I’ve seen a wide range from nice, mostly seafood markets to dystopian hellholes with caged animals of different species on top of each other and others butchered together on the same block.

My understanding is that Wuhan was closer to the latter.

I’m just saying be careful and don’t paint that as the norm or even somewhat common across Asia. I’ve seen that too but the vast majority are not like that. If they were then we would have way more problems.

True. Also, I’ve never seen anything like what I’ve described in Korea.

Well, I caught covid. And, it sucks. Feels like the flu, not just a cold. As near I can tell, I picked it up on Sunday when I went to a play. I was one of the first to get the bivalent booster just prior to going to Australia. I’ve been due for another booster for around 45 days but the current bivalent booster has very low efficacy against the current EG.5 strain that is rapidly expanding in New England. This current strain (and most of the post-omicron strains) will be in the Fall booster coming out in September.

I am working a paxlovid script now. Symptoms are interesting. Taste is intact. I can hear my heartbeat in my ears. My right sinus hurts like crazy (I’ve never had sinus pain in my life) and I have many of the typical SX like sore joints, fatigue, headache and a sharp sore throat. Like strep sharp.

2 Likes

Bummer. Take care of yourself. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

2 Likes

How long did it take to decide it wasn’t lacquer poisoning from painting the car?

4 Likes

Ha. Heck, that may have compromised my immune system so that I was able to contract the disease easier.

I had it a couple of months ago and it was pretty rough. The worst part was insomnia, I woke up on a Sunday morning and didn’t get to sleep again until early Wed morning. Felt really out of sorts. I was also on the Paxlovid and a prednisone regimen. Nasty stuff; I have asthma and Mrs Sid the retired nurse said I’d likely have ended up in the hospital without the drugs.

Rest and get well das, we’re pulling for you.

1 Like

Hang in there, DAS. I hope you’re better soon.

Well fucking shit! Yesterday I came down with covid. I was to finally meet with an oncologist today. Now I have to wait another 2 weeks to start my treatment for esophageal cancer. The covid symptoms are fairly minimal and otherwise I feel fine. I just, naturally, hate the delay.

14 Likes

Well shit. Hate to hear that. Hang in there.

2 Likes

Fuck cancer. Prayers up for you.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear you have cancer, Martin. I’ll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

2 Likes

All the best, Sphinx. Give it hell.

3 Likes

That sucks on top of suck. Hang in there Sphinx. Good vibes headed your way.

5 Likes

Fuck. Be well, Sphinx. So sorry to hear you have esophageal cancer.

3 Likes

Hang in there, Sphinx/Martin.
We’re all pulling for you, bud.

2 Likes

A good UT friend of mine has your diagnosis. I will follow your process carefully. Thinking of you, Marty.

2 Likes