Corpus Christi 2024

Talk about the hooks here

Like how the roster has one more player born in the 2000s than they have born in the 1990s.

1 Like

RHP Jake Bloss promoted from Asheville to Corpus. Last year’s third rounder was off to a great start in High-A: 17.1 innings, 11 hits, 25 strikeouts, 2.08 ERA. A few too many walks (8) in there, but his stuff was pretty clearly too advanced for Sally League hitters.

1 Like

Bloss sent back down to Asheville without an appearance at AA.

1 Like

Huh

Weird. Maybe just a temporary shuffle with Daniels being reassigned to AA? The team was celebrating his promotion, it’s hard to see why they’d send him back so quickly unless it’s just a logistics thing.

Bloss now back to CC with Melendez to the Development List.

1 Like

And what a debut tonight: 6 IP, 2 H, 0 BB, 6 K, 0 R.

It’s just May, but he’s sure looking like the breakout of the year.

2 Likes

Another promotion to AA: 2B/SS (and occasional 3B) Pascanel Ferreras, who hit .309/.411/.457 over 95 PA with Asheville.

If that name sounds familiar, it’s because he was Mr. Irrelevant in the 2023 draft.

The title means less since the draft got cut from 40 rounds to 20, but still, it’s gotta feel good for him to move up so quickly and leave the great majority of 2023 draftees in his dust.

3 Likes

Colin Price got the promotion too.

1 Like

Just noticed that they released CJ Stubbs & Chad Stevens. That was a bit of a surprise, though neither was really a prospect.

1 Like

Another stellar outing from Jake Bloss: 6IP, 2H, 0BB, 4K, 0R.

12 straight scoreless innings since his promotion to AA.

I think he might be good.

3 Likes

During the 2023 draft, I said 9th rounder Jeron Williams (speedy infielder out of Toledo) might not be much with the bat, but that I hoped he made me eat my words.

Today he was promoted to Corpus after hitting .310/.366/.552 with 5 HR and 12 SB with Asheville.

Chomp chomp.

2 Likes

To temper expectations, when promoted from Asheville, always look at home/road splits. Asheville is a very hitter friendly park:

home (13 games) .388/.426/.816
road (18 games) .254/.325/.358

Both are small sample sizes so take with a grain of salt.

2 Likes

Ashville is also one of my favorite American cities. Not that that has a damn thing to do with the conversation at hand.

Spell it right, then, Roddy! There’s an “e” in there!

1 Like

Aesheviellee

1 Like

Asheville, like former bus ride town Greeneville, both have the extra E due to their name coming from someone’s last name.

GreenEville (as the chamber of commerce like to spell it because it was the only city of the name with the extra E) was named for Revolutionary war General Nathanael Greene.

Asheville, as well as Asheboro, North Carolina are named for Samuel Ashe. Ashe was involved in the American revolution as a political leader and a officer. He later was elected Governor of North Carolina.

He was a slave owner. Tennis star Arthur Ashe was a direct decendant of one of his slaves Amar Ashe.

4 Likes

Thanks alot Duman. I’ve been following this young man since last year’s draft after he was called out as one to watch by Astros. Was super fired up seeing how well he’d performed…until your post of course!

Happy to dash hopes. That is why I am here.

3 Likes

Mr. Irrelevant’s first month in Corpus:

• 108 PA
  • .270/.389/.517
  • 3 2B, 5 3B(!), 3 HR
  • 15 BB, 27 SO

He’s still splitting time between positions, mostly third/short but playing a fair amount of second as well. I still haven’t seen much written about him but it’s hard to imagine we won’t see him on the next round of Astros top 30s.