College Football 2023

Serious Question: Do you honestly think FSU had a shot to beat any of the other top 4 teams with their backup QB after watching the dumpster fire the was Miami/FSU and the even worse Louisville/FSU game?

I’m glad the world was not deprived of Boise’s epic Fiesta Bowl win over Oklahoma

6 Likes

That was a thing of beauty.

I’m in agreement. The G5 should have instituted their own playoff long ago. I’d love it, but all those teams and most of their fans seem to rebel against the idea.

I think they had a chance.

But I do agree it would be 15-20%. They are clearly not as good a team.

But I do not agree that someone deciding they have no chance to win is a good reason to decide to keep them out if they did not lose a game on the field.

To be clear, I think Texas is deserving.

I do not feel FSU is more deserving than Texas, but don’t feel Texas is more deserving than FSU either.

There was 1 spot for 2 deserving teams and the committee made the choice.

However when opinions matter more than the record then its a popularity contest, not a sport.

If the ACC is so bad that their undefeated champion is considered less than another confetence’s 1 loss champion, then they are not competing on equal footing and should not be competing for the same prize.

2 Likes

FTR I have it on DVD and watch it at least once per year.

Greatest college football game I ever saw.

Edit: in fact, it feels like tonight is a good time to watch it again

1 Like

Any idea the backstory?

I am in two minds. FSU would have gotten crushed by Michigan, the playoff will be far better with Alabama in their place. This is good.

On the other hand, not having that decided on the field is incredibly stupid. FSU did everything they could do, including playing and beating two SEC teams in their noncon schedule. This isn’t UCF a few years ago with a noname schedule. They absolutely have the resume to be included in the playoff and are not in because of one injury. That is bad.

“Bama, don’t lose to Texas.” “Texas, don’t lose to Oklahoma.” “Georgia, don’t lose to Bama.” “Ohio State, don’t lose to Michigan.” “FSU, don’t have your QB break his leg?” One of these is not like the others. Injuries happen, this is football, but Injuries should not be the reason a team gets left out, and I’m so glad that starting next year, they won’t in this case.

2 Likes

He attended senior day. Sounds like they’ve committed to the freshman behind him. He’ll evaluate his draft stock vs whatever NIL someone offers him.

Gabriel? His OC left to be head coach at Miss State, and if he didn’t transfer, their hotshot freshman, Arnold, was likely going to transfer. Don’t know for sure, but I suspect Venables told him his time was up.

Apology if Cabrera but Cam Ward is in the portal? He is good.

They should not look like crap in their championship game.

I don’t think anyone here would seriously argue that 12-0 Liberty University should be in the playoffs over Texas and Alabama, but if you’re only looking at the number of wins and losses, they would be. Who you beat and how good you look while doing it matters when deciding who the four “best” teams are.

1 Like

The point is that deciding who the “best” is should be done on the field, not in the conference room. The goal, allegedly, is to crown a National Champion, not just have a committee pick who they think is best. That’s the way it works in every athletic endeavor in the NCAA, including FCS football…except BCS football. Obviously having a 64-team tournament for football would be challenging to say the least, but the idea that schools who do not have an opportunity to win a championship, no matter what, being misaligned is not a crazy one.

At the end of the day, we have the fucked up system because that’s what schools want. They want bowls. They want to compete at the BCS level, even if that means they cannot win a National Championship. And Florida State is in this situation because they asked for it. They got the system they not only deserved, but asked for. It worked against them this time.

Point of order: committees decide the field in many of these tournaments.

Committee decide some of them, but there are automatic berths, as least for any I’m aware of. I’m not aware of another sport where a committee picks the entire field, irrespective of on field/court results, but perhaps there are. Next year, will at least take care of some of that.

It should be noted that the 12 team field was due to start THIS year but the ACC/B1G/PAC12 drug their feet bitching about the Texas/OU move to the SEC. The plan was for 2023 but it got delayed a year by hurt feelings.

Yep. Its a fucked up system, but it’s the one schools have cultivated.

1 Like

Can’t argue with any of that.

It is what it is, as they say.

I’m still rooting for Texas though.

What would be really funny is if FSU somehow wins against Georgia in the Orange bowl and Alabama/Texas wins the playoff, if the AP voted FSU number 1 as the only undefeated team

2 Likes