College Football 2023

Nothing is assured, and every weekend is a good weekend to pile on the aggies.

2 Likes

The Horns need help - most likely FSU dropping one - but they’re hardly out of it.

I really hope A&M goes after a big name rather than somebody like Lance Leipold

“Mr. Harbaugh, we assure you the SEC will not hassle you here. Neither will the other SEC.”

Maybe Mack will be available.

As long as Georgia beats Alabama in the SEC title game and either FSU or Washington lose somewhere, they have a shot if they win out because Michigan and Ohio State play each other at the very end of the regular season. However, they need to start looking better if they want to be a one-loss team chosen.

Brooks out for season-torn ACL

Fuuuuuuck

Oh I feel for that young man.

1 Like

Awful news.

Looked like an ordinary tackle in real time. In slo-mo, you could see the knee buckle.

1 Like

When I blew mine out it was on a basic basketball move (dribble left, plant, up&under, I made it to the “plant” part). Everyone on the halfcourt heard it pop, like a gunshot.

Winner of Ohio State vs. Michigan
Winner of Washington vs. Oregon
Winner of Georgia vs. Alabama
Florida State (unless they self-destruct)
Loser of Michigan vs. Ohio State if the winner self-destructs in the conference championship
Probably a 1-loss Washington or Georgia.
Maybe Texas if they win out convincingly and there are multiple self-destructs ahead of them. More likely, their ceiling is #6.

The odds of Iowa coming up with enough points to beat either of those teams are infinitesimal.
Texas needs either an FSU loss (most likely to Louisville), or an Alabama win over Georgia.

Yeah, best case for Texas (if they win out) is FSU losing, and then Bama beating Georgia and hoping the committee keeps them ahead of Bama. There’s no way they’re beating out any one loss champions from the B1G or P12.

At this point though, I’ll be happy if Texas can just win this Saturday.

If Bama beats Georgia, there is no chance in this universe that the committee will keep Texas ahead of Bama. Texas needs to win out (no mean feat given their recent 4th quarter misadventures) and the see what happens. A New Years Day bowl would represent a successful season, in my opinion.

1 Like

Right now, I agree that Texas needs to focus on winning their remaining games and developing a killer instinct when they build these big leads. I also don’t think Texas is currently playing better than those teams in the conversation with them.

However, I do not agree that Texas finishes sixth at best if they win out.

Assuming they don’t stumble elsewhere:
the Michigan-Ohio State winner is in
the Georgia-Alabama winner is in
If Washington and FSU run the table, they are in

However, if Washington and FSU stumble, a one loss Texas with a win over Alabama in Tuscaloosa would have the best win of any one loss team.

Florida State is out of the conversation if they lose because of how bad the ACC is, and their best win is over a three-loss LSU is. If Oregon were to beat Washington in the conference championship game and finish with one loss, Texas’ win at Alabama is better than beating Washington in a neutral site conference championship game.

If Michigan loses to Ohio State, a win over Penn State is not better than Texas beating Alabama on the road. If Ohio State loses to Michigan, they wouldn’t play in their conference championship game.

I agree that if they win out, they’ll at least be 5 (they’ll pass the Mich/OSU loser), but if a 1 loss Oregon beats an undefeated or 1 loss Washington, or a 1 loss Washington wins the P12 championship, they’re in. Texas looks like they’re limping to the finish line and that perception will not allow them to overcome a champion of a very good P12.

I think you’re underestimating the traction the “Bama’s not the same team they were in September” argument will have.

It depends on how Texas looks in their last three games. If they struggle at Iowa State and home vs Texas Tech, I agree it becomes unlikely they get the nod over the Pac 12 winner. If they can look good the next three weeks, I wouldn’t be so sure a one-loss Oregon or Washington gets in above them. That win at Alabama is a big deal. The absolute worst case scenario for Texas is Alabama winning the SEC conference championship game over Georgia. Both Georgia and Alabama would likely get in at that point.