College Football 2023

If anyone wants to watch it, here is an interview done with Rece Davis today

1 Like

In case you need a reminder: From X

Jimmy Sexton runs college football.

He represents Nick Saban and dozens of other coaches, including Lane Kiffin, Kalen DeBoer, Mike Norvell, and Steve Sarkisian.

One of his clients will probably end up at Alabama, and he’ll use the opening as leverage to get the others paid.

For what it is worth, my son is in law school at Bama and he is hearing Kalen DeBoer. As an Auburn fan, he is excited about that prospect. His take “Guy has success with a super old team and some transfers he brought in, but only the #39 recruiting class and has no ties in the south”. Sounds like Bama might be repeating Auburns mistake in hiring Harsin from Boise St. - I can only hope we are returning to the days of the Mikes (Shula & Dubose) coaching Bama.

The only fly in that ointment is that DeBoer has had success everywhere he has been. He’s won like 90% of the games he’s coached in his life. Maybe he would be great, maybe terrible, I have a hard time doubting him.

Yes, he is clearly a better coach than Harsin. Don’t bother me with facts when my fandom is on display.

Harsin was a better coach than he showed at Auburn, IMO. I still don’t understand the dynamics of his tenure/failure there.

If I were an Auburn fan, I wouldn’t be excited about the prospect of Kalen DeBoer at Alabama after learning more about his coaching background. Like Doyce said, he has a ridiculous record as a head coach across different levels of college football, and he was Tom Allen’s offensive coordinator at Indiana when they had success with Penix. Also, Washington was not anywhere near CFP caliber when he took that job.

Here is what is pretty common knowledge now that he is gone:
Here is 34 minutes of Brian Harsin recruiting failures chronicle by two guys who follow Auburn recruiting. Mind blowing stuff for a major college coach to do, especially one who is backyard recruiting against Alabama and Georgia.

Then your DC (Derrick Mason) leaves for a job at Oklahoma State and takes a pay cut to get away from you? There is a leadership problem there

He was a bad fit but he also didn’t try very hard either. I think after the coup attempt failed and the false report of improper relationship, he just mailed it in and waited to be fired with the big buy out.

He was done dirty by the bogus report of the improper relationship. There is absolutely not excuse for that. None.

1 Like

Thanks for the link. While I like and respect Saban, I was laughing and shaking my head when he started talking about how he wanted a future where all programs were on an equal playing field. Yeah, maybe now that’s he retired.

I’m without evidence, but I’d be surprised if there wasn’t more behind Bama’s talent acquisition beyond a tradition and rabid fan base.

I’ve had fun rooting against both Saban and Belicick over the years, but holy cow do I respect both of them.

Saban touched on something in the interview that blows past a lot of people: it’s hard to keep winning when you’ve already won.

“Once you’ve climbed the mountain, you become the mountain”

Incredible quote

4 Likes

Sounds like this might be a thing:

Wonder how this will affect Norvell’s alleged candidacy with Alabama.

1 Like

I wonder if it played into them being left out of the final 4 teams?

Interesting question. I have no idea because the committee seemed so obsessed with optics and whether FSU looked like one of the four best teams. Whether they knew about the allegations and pending punishments, who knows?

No.

1 Like

Sark getting new contract at Texas :metal:

Official or speculation?

Report in the Athletic

Texas also released a video this morning about “just getting started” that was retweeted and quote tweeted by Sark

3 Likes

Saw reports that Norvell got a big extension and raise, so he’s out also. If they don’t get DeBoer soon, I wonder where they go. Do they still look for a name, no matter how mediocre (Dabo) or do they try to identify a great coach, whose name might not fire up the Bama faithful.

Basically, it’s looking like the typical coaching search that every fan base endures; Bama ain’t immune.

Kalen DeBoer negotiating with Alabama according to ESPN

That Jimmy Sexton gets raises for several of his coaches and then another of his coaches gets the job.

1 Like