College Football 2022

Get rid of the state money.

Problem solved.

Uh…they’re State run universities for the most part

The easy answer is, it would never happen in a million years

2 Likes

Something fun to theorize about even though it stands about as much chance of happening as I do of throwing a nohitter in game 7 of the World Series

1 Like

Uh…nobody is forcing them to subsidize the athletic programs.

UT uses no state money and actually contributes to the UT General Fund.

1 Like

I am aware of that. There are other state institutions outside of UT

Really?

Is it state funding athletic programs? Or other sources of funding?

1 Like

Yes, but what about ones that count?

So I have a very rough draft, an outline really, of how the leagues or confrences could work and with what teams.
Basic structure that I see is 20 teams in a “SEC 1” and “Big Ten 1” they would have to have names obviously. Thinking Northern and Southern Premier league, the line blurrs in places, mostly with the southern California teams like the LA, SD and San Jose teams but I wanted to keep teams from the same states in the same part of the pyramid and kinda stick to the regions each league has now.
How I structured it is 20 teams in each the Northern and Southern Premier leagues being the current and future SEC and Big Ten teams. Notre Dame, Oregon, Washington and Virginia Tech joining the Northing Premier, Clemson, Florida State, Miami and Oklahoma State joining the Southern Premier.

Next level down is 2 more 20 team leagues, we’ll call them the Northern and Southern league 2, 2nd level in England is actually called the Championship but Americans would never accept this and the name has reason that only makes sense if you know the history of the English FA. Anyway league 2 consusts of a mix of ACC, PAC12 and Big 12 leftovers, and some AAC teams, roughly anything south of Virginia and Kansas going to the southern league and north of that line to the northern league. So the Arizona schools are in the south, the Kansas and Virginia schools are in the north. This is so that the league structures have the same number of teams.
Leagues 3 and 4 conist of 14 teams each, drawing from the rest of the current confrences, so Sun Belt, C-USA, AAC leftovers, MAC, and MWC. There are also included, every FCS school currently moving to FBS, plus North Dakota State and I’ll need to find 2 more FCS teams to complete the list.

Yes this was a complete waste of time and for that I am sorry

The Big XII could (should) pick up Utah, Arizona, Arizona State, and Colorado to make a 16 team league. Throw in both Washingtons and both Oregons and you’ve got a gigantic 20 team league.

1 Like

I would be stunned if many schools already in a major conference would be in favor of something like this.

1 Like

They never would. Nobody would agree to it. It’s just fun, for me at least, to think about and dream. I think it would be fun as hell

1 Like

Relegation in CFB would be amazing, but it will never happen. CFB is about brands not merit.

1 Like

20 is too many … how would it be if a team were relegated having not played the three teams above them in the standings? Better to have 4 X 12 (or 13 with every team getting a bye week) and have everyone play everyone in their division. You also need to make sure that lower levels align in such a way that relegation and promotion do not blur the geographical lines over time. As long as you are living in an alternate reality, you may as well work out these details too.

It is a rough draft right now. I will fine point the details. As far as the 20 teams thing, my thinking would be either 2 10 team sub divisions or 4 pods of 5 teams. With the geographical lines, that would be fine with this proposal because it’s essentially 2 separate pro/rel structures. 1 centered on the Big Tens current “footprint” and 1 on the SECs current “footprint.” I wouldn’t want to do a 12 or 13 everybody plays everybody thing because I would want to preserve non confrence games. That way if you and your main rival are in different levels you can still play or if you want to generate some extra revenue by playing a home and home with someone in the other footprint, you can. I literally just did the teams in each level yesterday between work calls, my proposal is not finalized yet.

Of all the many things I do not worry about because I cannot control them, college football realignment is high on the list.

It’s a waste of time, theres no doubt

Do congressional term limits next

3 Likes