College FB Conference Realignment (here we go again)

I’m with you. I never saw the attraction.

I could not stand Kelso.

Whenever he and a writer from Texas’s bowl opponent’s home newspaper would both write an article making fun of the other team/city, it was really just embarrassing. The other writer was usually at least a little funny; Kelso was not.

Kelso glorified panhandlers and bums; I quit reading him after a while. Mike Kelly, however, was both intelligent and funny, imo, but the AAS let Kelly go and kept Kelso.

Well – They say that the memory is the second thing to go. It was Mike Kelly and his “milkshake” stories that I was thinking of. I actually shared a “milkshake” experience with him at the old Cedar Door once when it was still on 15th street.

I really liked his writing.

1 Like

What a pathetic-ass statement…sure we’ll be “monitoring” the situation.

Just look how the programs at Missouri and A&M have succeeded since joining the SEC; or Arkansas for that matter.

I would guess that this would lead to less, rather than more conference games in the SEC. I suppose they can pad their schedule with tomato cans to assure a good bowl berth.

A&M has actually been more successful in the rankings in the SEC

Man, you are nothing if not consistent. Poor Tech.

A lot of people don’t remember A&M’s last years in the B12…finished ranked once in 12 years and never finished higher than 3rd in the conference. They’re 4 for 9 in the SEC with 2 top-5’s.

I’m hoping the remaining 8 schools can get UH/Cincy/USF/UCF to join

This feels familiar.

1 Like

The University of Texas at Austin is not Texas A&M, Missouri or Arkansas. The program has wandered in the wilderness since the 2010 National Championship game, but its recent downturn is more akin to Alabama’s struggles before Saban arrived.

That said, as a UT alum, I do not like this move. I would rather add more elite programs to the Big 12 or go to a different conference. The last conference I want to join is the SEC with A&M in it.

1 Like

So you’re saying we’ve got a chance?!?

I disagree. Despite our advantages, we have had exactly two periods of excellence, under Royal and Brown. We somehow always get in our own way and I attribute that to overactive donors.

5 Likes

Just gotta hope Sarkisian is the right hire this time.

2 Likes

You will not get an argument from me that UT hinders its own success on the football field and donor influence plays a role. Despite that, the program is 4th in all-time wins and seventh in all-time winning percentage among Division I programs. It’s still on a different level than A&M, and, especially, Missouri and Arkansas.

However, the level of competition in this new SEC (Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma, Georgia, Florida, and Auburn) will make it difficult to avoid multiple-loss seasons.

IMO, Texas will thrive on the new competition in the SEC. Basically because the present Athletic Department has their shot together and because the new NIL levels the playing field between big time cheaters (SEC) and the rest of the big boys.

I would’ve preferred the Pac16 arrangement that was rumored a decade ago. As it is, I think I’ll continue down my path of caring less about college athletics.

3 Likes

Correct conclusion.