College Basketball 2023 - 2024

They are independent contractors who contract with each conference. They work from November through March so they cram in as many games as they can. Often with crazy travel as the tweet in the article highlighted.

Exactly why I am saying it ain’t the coach.

Just for clarity, you’re saying the players are better? Because that doesn’t seem like something you would ever say about any Tech player in any sport ever.

I made a partisan comment to the information Col. posted because I’m a Tech fan. It was a positive comment about Tech, so you naturally ridiculed it. I don’t know why there is a discrepancy in the fouls but I disagree with your premise that coaching could not possibly make a difference. In my experience, good coaching can improve any aspect of any sport for a team or player.

I am saying some players execute better than others; I am not saying they are better players talent/skill wise. Of course, I know coaching matters. I was one, you know.

Precisely why I don’t understand your point. Defensive technique is one of the most coachable aspects in basketball. A bad shooter may not be coachable into a good one, but most players willing to be coached can improve defensive technique. Playing good defense without fouling is a pretty good definition of defensive technique. I don’t understand your assertion that all coaches are equal in this regard.

Texas goes into Norman and beats #11 OU 75-60. It was their most complete game of the season, so far.

What a fool. What an absolute rube.

After losses on the road at West Virginia and UCF at home where they blew a big first half lead, your comment was warranted. I’m happy Terry has the ship steering in the right direction the last two games, but there are no off nights in the Big 12. Case in point: Texas’ reward for winning two games in a row against top 15 teams is a trip to BYU and a home game with Houston.

Texas played their best 2nd half of the season for sure.

It’s amazing what happens when you do a much better job of protecting the basketball. OU had a 13-0 fastbreak point advantage at half time.

And as @austro said, Chendall Weaver earned himself a lot more playing time moving forward. He was very active on both ends of the court.

Good things happen when Weaver is on the floor.

1 Like

The Red Coogs lead the Blue Cougs 41-34 at the half. 34 points is the most first half point UH has given up this year.

UH commits more offensive fouls that any team I’ve seen in a long time.

That was a hard fought win in Provo for UH.

1 Like

Huge UH road win!

1 Like

No one mentions Lamarcus Aldridge? OK, it’s been 20 years, but he was a better college player than Bamba and a better pro than Mihm or Bamba.

PJ Tucker goes further back than Aldridge but you can make the same claim for him versus the two guys mentioned.

Since then there were a handful of one(or two)-and-done guys (e.g., Greg Brown, Jaxson hayes, Jarrett Allen, Tristan Thompson, Myles Turner) that put up decent seasons and went pro, not too dissimilar to Bamba. Some have had pretty solid NBA careers.

2 Likes

Good post. UT has had lots of big men who could play, but several of them were only at Texas for one year. It seems to be a perimeter game now without traditional low post players. Even big men (Disu, Cunningham) shoot threes.

1 Like

I always liked Dexter Pittman. Also I think the initial conversation was mentioning true centers not forwards. Of course no one forgets Lamarcus Aldridge or PJ Tucker or that tall skinny guy – the one that is an all time great.

1 Like

Going way back, I liked Dexter Cambridge. He was a true low post player. I think my point was athletic centers have become forwards in today’s game.

1 Like

Going even further back, Abe Lemons had LaSalle Thompson who was great and has to rank near the top of all time great Longhorns.